Photo backups

sm1979

Standard Member
Hi, sorry I honestly didn't know the best forum to put this in. Photography? General PC? Mobile Phones? Opted for the latter. Anyway, apologies, I'm new here.

Recently bought a new phone, android. I backed up all my old phone photos to Google Photos and intended to continue to use that. However, I think backing up myself to my own pc would be cheaper. Is there any way I could backup my phone photos to my pc just by plugging it in? Basically I want to back up to my pc, but if I delete any from my phone I want that to synchronise with the PC, so when syncing it would also remove the picture from my pc library? Could that also work in reverse too? So many questions, so I will leave it there for the time being. Thank you for reading and for any help that may be forthcoming.

gangzoom

I use Adobe Lightroom for local backup, the problem is I than worry about hard drive failure (which I've experienced before), so I actually do x2 local backs with one to the hard drive on the laptop and one to a NAS drive with a RAID setup. I do a local back every 4-6 months or so to free up the storage on the phone.

I also use Flickr (paid) and Google (free for now but will pay £15/year for 100gig soon).

Personally cloud based backs direct from the phone is simply much easier and likely secure method, but I still do some local backups out of habit.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It depends how much you are paying for the service vs home running. I would always advocate having an off site/cloud backup anyway just in case say your house burnt down with the backup and the phone.

These days with electricity prices I can’t really see it being any cheaper and once you add in the convenience factor…

MaryWhitehouse

It may be cheaper (I’m iOS and it’s cheap there) but it’s a lot more hassle and not off site so don’t bother. Unless you have terabytes of photos on your phone, if so get culling!

Empwan

I use Flickr pro (paid), it's secure, you don't have to share any of your content with others if you don't want to. I too have suffered from HDD failure in the past and the raid I had 2x drive QNAP became unsupported and vulnerable. So it's cloud for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom