• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Phonograph needle recommendations

misterelie

Standard Member
Don't see a thread for this here so I thought I'd ask:

I have a rather extensive collection of LP's of classical and jazz (1940's - 1970's) and I would like to digitize them. I have a rather inexpensive turntable to do that with. a Numark PT-01 that I can hook into my Mac and do the appropriate editing and conversion. The problem is, the sound coming into the computer from the turntable is pretty bad, and I am at least 85% sure it is the needle; the original that came with the turntable. It might be good for DJing, but it is horrible for playing classical or jazz records.

Can anyone recommend a quality needle/cartridge for this purpose? I don't know where to get one and I've never changed one before (too young to do it as a kid), so something easy to change and easy to procure would be fantastic.

Thanks. Most of this music comes from a couple of universities as they were throwing away (literally -- into the dumpster) their records. A large portion of these have never seen the light in any other format except their original release, so saving this music is very important to me.

misterelie

Standard Member
No idea. I checked out the wikipedia article link you gave me (thank for that, BTW), but I've no idea how to identify the two when looking at the player.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom