1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono standards

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by iamian, Jan 10, 2005.

1. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I'm thinking of buying new separates, my first since .......wait for it ...... 1974!
    I've decided I don't want tape, I do want FM, DAB and a half-decent CD player.

I don't intend changing the turntable or cartridge unless I really have to. It's a Pioneer PL12D with a SME headshell containing a Shure M97 cartridge... does this mean anything to anyone?

Given that the thing still turns at 33.3333333 rpm the only incompatibility I can foresee is with the cartridge.

Does a 21st century phono input match with this sort of cartridge? Can I still buy stylii? Should I look to change? Do I need a pre-amp?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Ahh, memories. The good old PL12D. I had one myself around 20 odd years ago. The M97 stylii are still available. As long as you get an amplifier with a standard magnetic input (as opposed to moving coil) all will be well. The standards haven't changed.

If you don't get an amplifier with a magnetic input you will need a pre-amp with RIAA equalization but these are easy to find.

3. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Glad to hear all is not lost! Analogue standards remain unchanged!

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Now that brings back the memories, in its day, a very good turntable. It can be bettered of course, a Rega or Heybrook will give a far superior sound but to get back to your original question, how much do you want to spend and what is the rest of your system

5. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Nice turntable and well worth hanging onto unless you're prepared to spend Rega/Pro-ject money to better it! :smashin:

One easy and cheap upgrade if you feel the need would be to change the cartridge for an Audio-Technica AT-95E which works very nicely in the Pioneer, but if you like the noise it makes, then i'd leave well alone!

Adam.

6. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice and comments.

The turntable and KEF Coda speakers stay, I might think about a new cartridge if the I cannot get a stylus or the replacement cost matches that of a new cartridge.

I then want to spend < £400 total on amp, CD and FM tuner, (preferably FM/DAB). Oh, and SWMBO wants it to "look nice" so something coming from the same range of one supplier might not be a bad idea.

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I'd think hard about that. Digital sources tend to tear up 70's speakers. Funniest thing ever.......... one of my mates hooked up his first CD player to his old JVC amp and Leak speakers, and within seconds the bass cones literally started to shred to pieces! Oh how we laughed! :laugh:

Plus they sound a tad "wooly" compared to modern efforts. Get some new(er) speakers off ebay if you want to keep costs down.

8. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey :)
    How come you wont keep your existing Amp?
    The stuff from the 70s was beautiful (Meridian Pre/power combo here :) ).
    My advice to you would be to visit a superfi or sevenoaks store and listen to everything in your price range!
    Maybe have a listen to some speakers too!

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a PL12D back in the mists of time it was good enough that i did'nt go down the cd route when CD first came out. i eventualy got a maranz cd63 signature in the 90ties.
    I eventualy upgraded my turntable to a Voyd turntable fantastic sound.
    I reckon the PL12D would still be the equal of most budget cd players today.