1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono Stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JohnS, Jun 30, 2003.

1. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My new myryad amp doesn't have a phone stage so I need to get an offboard one to go with my project debut turntable. Its not used all that much but it would be nice if it worked.

Anybody got any ideas what to spend and on what?

Cheers

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    What sort of phono stage are you looking for...moving magnet or moving coil...or one for both possibilities...and do you have a specific cartridge in mind.
    There are several excellent phono stages out there,and an idea of your price range/requirements would be useful.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm currently using an old Rotel pre amp as a phono amp/audio input switcher with a Project Debut II. If I decide to sell the amp then I'll get a cheap phono board on ebay (they go for about £5-£10). However, I'm inputting it to a mini system only. I'm guessing your amp and speakers deserve something better so you might want to try Project's own amp which is £40 new or about £25 SH.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think mines a Debut II, but I'll have to check the manual, same applys to the type of cartridge but the whole thing only cost about £135 so something for about £50 seems plenty.

Haven't bought a record in years so its only for those nostagic moments from my collection from years ago. Its all been CD since then.
    Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

Anyone got one spare??

5. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi John,

Hope the new processor is as good as you expected. By coincidence, I bought a phono stage the day after you came round to pick up the Myryad. Went for a Project Phono Box (the standard one, not the SE). Cost £45 from Audio-T. For the few times I play LP's nowadays, this sounds good enough to me on my Linn Sondek/Meridian set-up. It can be configured for MM and MC cartridges by positioning some jumpers inside (the default is MM).

Cheers,

Steve

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Steve,

Well if its good enough for you....it'll do for me.

The MDP500 is away for the G6 upgrade, should be back in the next couple of days with a bit of luck but I did spend an hour with it and it seemed great so far.

Regards