Answered Phono Stage Advice

cobhc2008

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My family bought me a Rega Planar 1 for Christmas, and my brother has lent me his Rega Fono Mini A2D as my receiver does not have one built in. I would like to get my own phono stage to be able to give his back to him.

What would you recommend for £200-£300 which allows me to upgrade the turntable in the future and still have something which will not hold the turntable back?

I've looked at the Rega Fono MM MK3 but that limits me to MM cartridges only. I've also looked at the Arcam rPhono which seems to be reviewed quite well.

Thanks in advance.

I'm partial towards the CA CP2 (CP2), but I see they also have a newer model, the Duo (Duo) with even better specifications. Both have MM & MC and are cheaper than the Arcam, which is also a good option., but is over your price range.

The MM / MC choice is generally an expensive one - whatever you may read, going MC is not just a matter of switching out the cartridge - although that will "function". Generally the reason for going MC is the desire to raise the level of performance and there's a lot more to it just the cartridge technology. My suggestion therefore is to solve your problem for MM, which is what you have, and worry about MC later, when your budget reaches the more stratospheric level required to do it right.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom