1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono speaker leads - bodge job

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by peckhamlad, Nov 12, 2004.

1. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Total noob question I don't know if this possible

- I've got a cheap 5.1 surround system - Yamaha TSS10 & the amplifier has a single phono out for the centre speaker.

Can I use a regular phono lead to connect to a different half decent centre speaker as the one it comes with (sateillite) is rubbish.

What cable would be required or would I have to use a regular 1 phono to 2 phono split (L+R) and take off the ends so I can wire to the new speaker

make sense?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most speakers don't use phono connectors and although I have had a Google around I haven't managed to find a picuture of the conector to make sure that it is a phono and not a banana plug.

In theory you should be able to cut the plug off at the speaker end and divide the cable into the positive and negative wires which will connect up to a different speaker. That is the theory - in practice it may not sound very good as the speakers at the front should all match each other

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds a bit fishy to me. Are you sure that the amplifier section you refer to actually delivers the amplified signal? Coaxial cable isn't all that good for delivering high-current signals. Have you tried a different cable than the supplied one?

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Some of the 'all in one' systems use phonos for the speaker outputs, with speaker cable leads having moulded phonos on the ends.

Peckhamlad - You could cut off the connection at your current speaker and wire directly onto the terminal posts of your new one. However, if you don't want to damage your existing syatem cable you could use a short adaptor.

I have a couple of homemade ones lying around - If you PM me your address, I'd be happy to send you one.

5. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies I have enclosed a link showing the connections - its PDF & not too clear
    http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/pdfs/moreinfo/tss10.pdf

I chopped off the ends of an old phono lead that splits in to L+R and it worked but the speaker I connected to had an 8ohm resistance while the system is 4ohms!!! therefore lower output I 'm now looking for a good 4ohm centre speaker (on the cheap)

Thanks for all advice -much appreciated