Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Phono Setup Help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by uk_saw, Apr 19, 2005.

1. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am unfortuantely not very wise when it comes to setting up hifi systems and I am hoping one or two of you may be able to give me some help.

I have been given a second hand rega planar 2 and I wish to purchase an amp and some speakers (i think) so that I can play my 80-90's britpop 7's.

I currently have the all-in-one-box Denon DVD,5.1 amp system as my music centre. I have tried plugging my planar into the video one component inputs but it does not generate any sound (should this work?).

As this did not work I am assuming I will need a seperate amp and speakers to hook upto the phono and would like some suggestions on what I could buy for the 700-1000 mark. Any advice or suggestions most greatfully recieved.

also is there a good way to turn vinyl's into mp3's?

Steve

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    What Denon have you got - a DHT500?

Most of these systems do not have a phono input, so you will need a phono pre-amp to plug between the TT and the system.

Something like the Pro-Ject Phono Box for about £40 should do the job - cheaper than a new amp and speakers anyway!

3. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Yes thats the one I have. I will check out the project box.

thanks for the advice, certainly sounds cheaper :)

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for a Creek OBH phono stage,works superbly with the Rega decks,it cost about £180.The rest or some, you could spend on improving the Rega deck.

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have a Musical Fidelity X-LP phono stage between my Rega Planar and the amp; very nice; not made any more but these and other phono amps show up on ebay all the time.