1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono Setup Help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by uk_saw, Apr 19, 2005.

1. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am unfortuantely not very wise when it comes to setting up hifi systems and I am hoping one or two of you may be able to give me some help.

I have been given a second hand rega planar 2 and I wish to purchase an amp and some speakers (i think) so that I can play my 80-90's britpop 7's.

I currently have the all-in-one-box Denon DVD,5.1 amp system as my music centre. I have tried plugging my planar into the video one component inputs but it does not generate any sound (should this work?).

As this did not work I am assuming I will need a seperate amp and speakers to hook upto the phono and would like some suggestions on what I could buy for the 700-1000 mark. Any advice or suggestions most greatfully recieved.

also is there a good way to turn vinyl's into mp3's?

Steve

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    What Denon have you got - a DHT500?

Most of these systems do not have a phono input, so you will need a phono pre-amp to plug between the TT and the system.

Something like the Pro-Ject Phono Box for about £40 should do the job - cheaper than a new amp and speakers anyway!

3. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Yes thats the one I have. I will check out the project box.

thanks for the advice, certainly sounds cheaper :)

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for a Creek OBH phono stage,works superbly with the Rega decks,it cost about £180.The rest or some, you could spend on improving the Rega deck.

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have a Musical Fidelity X-LP phono stage between my Rega Planar and the amp; very nice; not made any more but these and other phono amps show up on ebay all the time.