1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono (RCA) cable leangth to Sub from A-V Amp?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by iMan, Dec 11, 2003.

1. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in the middle of installing an Home Cinema Projector system. My A-V Amp is 4 metres away from the Bass Subwoofer, for me to run the phono lead from the Sub to the Amp routing it properly around the scirting boards will come to 14 metres.

The man at the shop told me that if I used a Phono cable that long it will loose amperage/power/quality? something like that anyway.

Is it okay to use a Phono lead that long? has onyone experienced problems with such a long Phono lead from the Amp to their Sub?

2. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't have that much hi-fi knowledge but my physics knowledge would lead me to believe that you will always lose a tiny bit of signal strength from the restistance of the wire but surely this is going to be negligible if the current is extremely low (it's only a signal). I guess interference would be more of an issue, especially if it's an unshielded cable running round the skirt where your power cables may be.

I have a 4 metre cable (1 + 3 metre extension) and have no problems.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iMan,
    I use a 2 cables on my subs, one of which is just over 10 metres, with a couple of joins in it. as far as my ears are concerned there is not sound degregation.

Read the Beekeepers thread on the cables section of this forum, it mentions there about sub woofer cables. Alternatively look at Mark Grants power buy in the power buy section. I use Scorpion cables and they are very good.

Regards
    John

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Cable length isn't the problems per se but the ability to drive it, with modern well buffer outputs 14m is a walk in the park, R loss is minimal just use the right cable :)

I have never tried it but I suspect my Tag would have no problem with 100m....of the right cable ;)

5. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just going to pop down to Currys and buy 2 x 6 metre jobs for £5.99 each, will they be okay, if not please give me a make and a supplier were I can get one

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    You could make your own ,i did 10m long.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I man see mark grant in powerbuys forum, he will custom you a stonker of a sub cable!

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Having read The Beekeeper's lengthy thread in the Cables forum which includes a section on subwoofer cables it would seem that the specifications that he mentioned are exactly those used by Mark Grant in the cables that he makes up and sells via the Powerbuy forum.

I believe that there is a special powerbuy price coming this weekend for his top quality subwoofer cables.