phono preamp

rleitman

Standard Member
Reaction score
i just bought pro-ject turntable but I have a new denon reciever so I need a pre-amp for my turn table.

any suggestions of inexpensive but high quality phono pre-amps ? i don't want to spend much.

by the way, i have some old reciever that does also have phono inputs , can I use it and connect it to my denon and wuality would be good ?

I have some old reciever that does also have phono inputs , can I use it and connect it to my denon and would would be good ?

It'll certainly work but who knows how good it would be. The phono stages built in to most cheap receivers and integrated amplifiers were quite basic but usually good enough in the context of the product. Most separate phono stages will be better than the integrated stages in the majority of integrated amplifiers but it's all about context.

Spending a lot on a phono stage for a budget system isn't wise because you'll never hear the full difference. It's like putting a Ferrari gearbox in a Mondeo! Unless you plan to upgrade in the future a decent budget phono stage will do the job.

Some Pro-Ject TT's have a phono stage built in. I assume yours doesn't. Pro-Ject's own PhonoBox 2 is a nice budget phono stage for MM and MC carts. You might even find one second hand if you search a bit. :smashin:

Using the old kit would get you started - TT plugged into Phono on old amp, take Tape Out from that to Tape I or Aux on new amp, and select that.

You haven't given us a budget, and that make it difficult to point you at any specific product.

You can buy acceptably good Phono Equalization Pre-Amp for about £40.

Though it is certainly possible to pay less, I'm not sure how good they will be.

Project, Musical Fidelity, and Cambridge Audio all make Phono Equalization Pre-amps in roughly £60 to £80 range. These are all quality products.

Steve/bluewizard

I have a Denon dm37 mini midi hooked up to a technics sl1210md3 deck via a Project Phono box 2 usb amp i got for just £60 ebay second hand.... does the job at a nice price. :)

thanks a lot. Eventually I use an old phillips black tulip pre-amp box I found. It has volume , bass , treblle and loudness control. What is the best settings for pre-amp regarding volume, bass etc comparing to set them in the amplifier itself ?

You are talking about a pre-amp (possibly with a phono stage) whereas everyone else was talking about a dedicated phono pre-amp. The Phillips can be used as a make-shift phono stage if it has PHONO IN. I would connect the TAPE OUT of this Phillips thing to an input on your current (Denon?) amp. This will give a fixed line level, bypassing all the controls on the Phillips and should give better sound quality.

i just bought pro-ject turntable but I have a new denon reciever so I need a pre-amp for my turn table.

any suggestions of inexpensive but high quality phono pre-amps ? i don't want to spend much.

by the way, i have some old reciever that does also have phono inputs , can I use it and connect it to my denon and wuality would be good ?

I use this between my Pro-ject TT and Marantz AVR, sounds great, looks prettier and dosnt over complicate things. :)

Hi Fi Turntables Project PHONO BOX MM | hifix.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom