Answered Phono preamp vs buffer preamp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Rcase, Jul 26, 2018.

?

If you would prefer to vote

Poll closed Aug 2, 2018.
  1. RIAA MM tube Phono preamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tube preamp Buffer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rcase

Rcase
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This with my Yamaha CR-420 solid state aux preamp:
    Vacuum Tube Phono Stage RIAA MM Turntable Phonograph Preamplifier Stereo Pre-Amp | eBay
    RIAA phono part:
    • 85dB ">RIAA freq response 20hz-20kHz +/- 0.5dB, S / N ratio> 85dB
    • 85dB ">THD <0.05%, input sensitivity 3.0mV, gain 40dB,
    • Nominal / max output 300mV / 1.8V
    • Output impedance 200 ohms, input 47k ohm / 220 pF
    Or this (I like that it has eq):
    Name:6J1 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Stereo Audio Pre-Amplifier Buffer
    Model:794626
    Specifications:
    Voltage:12V
    Current:1A
    Material:Aluminum alloy shell, gold-plated interface
    Color:Black/Silver
    Size:125mm*98mm*33mm
    Power amplifier type:HIFI power amplifier

HiFi 6J1 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Stereo Audio Treble Bass Pre Amplifier Buffer | eBay

Either would be treated with better NOS tubes.

Also, where in the signal chain?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by dannnielll, Jul 27, 2018 (1 points)
  3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    What is your query. .. the first listed device is intended for use with a vinyl system as the RIAA equalisation curve is built in.The RIAA equalisation is needed to correct for a deliberate frequency response built into every LP record. ..when vinyl records are made, there is a deliberate reduction in the amount of bass amplitude recorded. When the record is played, the bass is boosted by the exact amount. In addition it also has another input which has a flat frequency response.
    The second device listed is has a flat frequency response and is intended for non vinyl systems.

Both units have tone control so that the treble and bass can be modified. .. this is seperate from the RIAa function.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. Rcase

Rcase
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand. As a way to introduce tubes to my system that about 60% of the time plays vinyl, is the tube phono device better before the solid state receiver, or is the tube buffer after the receiver a better option? Also, there are tone controls on the buffer, but unless there is a trim pot I know of no way to adjust the phono preamps buffer. I should add also that I have a digital receiver after the vintage receiver one to control surround sound. Also, to be clear the vintage receiver is already capable of amplifying the turntable's signal.

I think the buffer between the vintage receiver and digital was what I was leaning toward, but I really don't know enough. Any additional help or suggestion would be helpful. Thanks!

5. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Best Answer
    40 quid is not a lot of money, to spend or waste on a whim, which basically is what we are discussing here. Valve technology dates from 1900,and lasted into the mid 1960s,when it was the only good way of amplifying. Since 1960 onwards, semiconductor devices, particularly the bipolar transistor ,then the FET and later the MOSFet and variants have taken over. Your Yamaha probably dates from the early 1980s,and would have a value of less than 40quid...I have a different brand of a machine (Nikko 5050) but very similar in vintage,shape and functions..

Neither of these preamps will be better than the Yamaha,. That they use valves means that they will possibly give a" valve sound". .. which a moments reflection means that they will distort the music in a particular fashion... You and others may like this distortion and call it musical,but it is distortion and a removal of fidelity from the audio. .. I might like to stuff my loudspeakers inside wooly pullovers,and affect the sound,I might even get to like the muffled sound.

If you were to use the first unit you could dispense with the Yamaha and go directly from the turntable to it and from it to the digital power amplifier setup you mention. Otherwise you would feed it's output into the AUX or Tape monitor in on your Yamaha.. you would never go into the phono input of the Yamaha having already been through a phono stage.
    If you were to use the second one , you would insert it between the tape monitor out and tape in , and still use the Yamaha phono input for vinyl. .

6. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I don't understand why you would want to put these kind of devices in your hi-fi chain. Just because it has valves doesn't mean it's any good.

The best valve amps should be very neutral, there are a lot of people claiming a ridiculous 'warm valve sound' from their valve amp. What that usually means is that it's badly designed and as Dannnielll says is creating coloration/distortion.

Warmth shouldn't be something you want from a valve amplifier, they have many attributes but warmth isn't one.

x :hiya:

7. Rcase

Rcase
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'll see how it works. I elected the RIAA Phono amp and bought NOS Amperex tubes for it. I'm confident that the resulting sound will 'grow on me' at very least. I've been a guitar player most of my life and have never liked the sound of solid state amps. I have no issues with the Yamaha, but thought a tube amp would give some interesting effects. I think it may be a good idea to have a branched rca cable with a switch so that I can used either phono device.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn't have known what to do without your feedback.