Question Phono Pre Amp

jrussuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I Have just got a Onkyo A9010 Amp with a Audio Technica LP5 turntable which Im pleased with on the whole apart from the bass is a little light on the turntable compared with the same tracks played through my sonas connect. I noticed I get better sound using the LP5 internal pre amp compared to the Onkyo internal pre amp so I was wondering if I bought a seperte Pre ampwould that help me getting more bass from my turntable especally low end? I do relise that vinyl doesnt have too much bass compared to digital but if anyone has any advice on this I would be gratful.

I was wondering if I bought a seperte Pre ampwould that help me getting more bass from my turntable

Possibly, possibly not. I don't think the answer is a new stand-alone phono pre-amp/equalizer.

I do relise that vinyl doesnt have too much bass compared to digital

Whilst vinyl is deliberately pressed with a markedly tilted frequency response (far more treble than bass) to keep groove width down thus allowing reasonable recording duration on each side of the record - and to allow the cartridge to track the grooves more reliably - this deliberate tonal imbalance is electronically corrected (i.e. equalized) within the phono pre-amp/equalizer.

You have found that the turntable's in-built phono pre-amp/equalizer gives more bass than the Onkyo's phono input but that's not to say another manufacturer's phono pre-amp/EQ would give you the sound you're after.

One thing that tends to happen with our music playback setups is that we grow accustomed to the sound it produces. The danger then is that the sound of the familiar system (in your case, maybe the Sonus?) becomes our reference - no matter how accurate or inaccurate it really is. I wonder if this effect might be happening here? Maybe you should just give yourself a few weeks/months to grow accustomed to the turntable sound before deciding to part with more money? No review I've seen of the AT LP5 mentions bass lightness.

If, after a while, you decide the sound is still too bass light, then I'd look at other components in the system such as the speakers and cartridge. One last point. IME, increasing the tracking weight of a cartridge, towards the top end of its permitted range, will often increase bass weight so worth a try. Even placing the turntable on different surfaces or fitting a different turntable mat or using a record clamp can alter sound quality.

Nice one! I thought about getting new speakers ( I have 25 year old Warfendale Diamonds bookshelf) but when i heard my tracks through sonas I thought my speakers wasnt the problem.
I'm waiting for some stylus scales to be delivered to make sure my tracking weight is correct.

I'm waiting for some stylus scales to be delivered to make sure my tracking weight is correct.

Good move. Hopefully, the fitted cartridge (AT95x or AT95ex?) comes supplied with it's tracking weight range? I can't find info on the 95ex but the cartridge it appears to be based on, the now discontinued AT95e, has a tracking weight range of 1.5 to 2.5 grams so plenty of scope for a bit of experimentation.

The cartridge says 2g. Hopefully my scalesa re here today so I will be able to check thats correct.
I've also just ordered a Rega Mini A2D from Amazon. Might not help but at least I can send it back if not happy. Just curious now if an actual seperate pre amp will make any diffrence.

I've also just ordered a Rega Mini A2D from Amazon. Might not help but at least I can send it back if not happy. Just curious now if an actual seperate pre amp will make any diffrence.

That's a very well reviewed phono pre-amp so I would expect it to improve a little on both of your existing phono pre-amp options. Whether the Rega will give more bass weight is another matter.

From everything I've read, you have a fine system in the making. The old W. Diamonds were a nice speaker but I suspect newer variants of the Diamond and more modern speakers from the likes of Q Acoustics, Mission and others would probably offer an improvement - though perhaps not as much as some reviews would have you believe.

My scales arrived and checked my tracking force which was 1.8g. Changed it to 2g and heard a diffrence in the bass.

My Fono Mini Arrived and annoyingly only the left channel worked! But did hear a big diffrence from my lp5 internal amp.
so sending it back and might go for a Project Phono Box instead as i can pick one up this weekend. Any thoughts on this Pre Amp?

Thought I would update that my lack of bass problem was helped with the Fono Mini pre amp. Tried the Project pre amp and didnt hear much difference but when the Fono one was connected WOW!! what a improvement on the internal pre amp. Much more lower end and puncher too.

Never try rega fono, but project phono box s really the one does job - powerful bass plus detailed and very good separation and my system start to sound in full range. Before try cambridge azur 540, 650, shiit mani and even project tube box s didnt work for me. Sold them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom