phono plugs ! help !!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rickksta, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rickksta

rickksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hi, i recently inherited a surround sound speaker set with sub woofer, but i had no amp, i eventually managed to get hold of a sony unit, every thing works fine except the sub woofer which needs i phono plug solering on to its wires so that it will plug straight into the amp. I have bought a phono plug but have no idea which connectors to solder the cables to, the cables are both coloured red one having a back stripe on it (+ and -). please could someone point me in the right direction!
    many thanks rick

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Is this a powered sub-woofer that you have (i.e. one which has a power supply and amplifier built-in) ?

3. rickksta

rickksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no its just a sub woofer without its own amp, but the amp ive bought only has a phono out socket for sub woofer not the usual clamping connectors that it has for the normal speakers !

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    does the amp have a powered sub output then?

5. rickksta

rickksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it does but its a phono output, not clips i can even ajust the volume with the remote, silly i know but it must have come with its own set of speakers when new, the ones i have are from a different setup.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you'll find that the output is for a powered sub-woofer. If it was for a normal speaker it would have terminals. Still, you're about to find out. The + wire goes to the inner on a phono plug. I think you may find that the sub-woofer is rather quiet, though.