Phono Leads

Midge

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy some phono leads to connect my tv to a DAVS500. Thinking of getting either Monster or IXOS ones in the region of £30 - £40ish pounds. What I want to know is will these be sufficent, or should I go for something a bit more 'pricey'

Thanks in advance

don't go any higher than that especially not for a source like a TV, for my TV I bought some QED Quinex for about £20. You would really be wasting money spending any more for hooking up your TV.

Thanks v much.

Kind of hoping I would get an answer like that.

have to say I concure with what everyone's else has been saying here for a while, watching TV using Dolby PL2 completely changes the experience, much more involving!

I use the same quality cables for all my connections, actually my Loewe TV has better sound than my Arcam FM...

Like James said, with DPLII it sounds amazing... why should you use worst than for other sources... :confused:

I'm not saying use worse quality cabling but keep it in perspective, maybe Loewes are different but I wouldn't consider a mainstream TV to be an audiophile source especially not one with an analogue tuner.

Sure it is not an audiophile source, but there are many DVDs and CDs with worst quality sound, I mean the discs, and if he listens to the TV as much as I do, it is worth to try to improve the quality there too...

I was called crazy to buy the same expensive interconnects for my TV and Tunner, even for the surround channels, but why not have the same quality all around, if you can afford... :confused:

that's the thing... if you can afford it. But for many value is an important word.
You're right about some DVDs and CDs sounding worse so I suppose if you can afford it... go ahead. the sound through my QEDs is great.

The expensive part of it depends of the rest of the system, of course I wouldn´t buy better cables for the TV than for the pre-power connection, for instance...

Just sometimes we spend all our money, (me included), with the "strongest link", and forget what we listen to more often...

guys,

i too am thinking if i should spend £20 on an IXOS 1003 gamma 2phono->2phono lead.

this will be for my sony idtv connecting to my strdb870 amp which supports dpl2.

as i am ordering an ixos 126-av for my dvd -> tv connection, i can use the supplied standard component (red, white, yellow) lead for the tv->amp connection.

will the ixos 1003 make much difference compared to the standard leads?

cheers,
dac

Originally posted by dac
guys,

this will be for my sony idtv connecting to my strdb870 amp which supports dpl2.

dac

I just upgraded my sony 870 to a sony 1080, and my 870 certainly didnt support dpl2 as that was one of the reasons for upgrading.

oops ... got the wrong model number.

it's STRDB780

apologies.
dac

lowrider,

any comments on the ixos 1003 phono lead?

cheers,
dac

If I knew that particular cable, I would have been more helpful... ;)

But generally you get better sound replacing the standard cables... if you can, do test a few, otherwise just stick to the same quality brand, you will avoid many sleepless nights, trying to decide wich one is better, as they all have some compromises...

I did test a few brands, and my favourite, not too expensive, was the Ecosse Composer... I am of to higher flights now... :rolleyes:

DAC

A word of warning about Sony IDTV (and any Sony TV I think) phono out. For some reason, the phono out connection is not line level, but is controlled by the TV volume - pretty daft!

I would not therfore recommend using the phono outputs. I'm now using the SCART audio outputs, which are proper line level outputs and all works fine. There have been several posts about this previously - have a search for them!

As everyone else has said, always use DPL II if you are using a stereo source - it's clever stuff.

Super7

super7,

yeah i've come across that. most notably on the LS60 model - theres a few threads around on it.

i have the dx100, and i can mute the tv volume and yet still get sound out of the amp as this is set in the tv's audio menu setting.
tested with normal phono's when i first got my gear.

all information courtesy of simon1 :)

in fact, he pretty much help me get all my gear.

32"dx100
strdb 780 dpl2 supported amp
dvp-ns700 dvd player
sa-ve 335 speakers + sub (bought 2 pairs of stands as well)
rmvz 950 art courture universal remote

just bought all my ixos leads as well
ixos 126av 0.75m
ixos 1003 phono - phono
ixos 105 co-ax

grand total of approx £2150.

that'll do me nicely, all nicely matched together in sony silver.

cheers,
dac

dac

Glad to hear you're sorted - some nice kit there!

I bought some good Monster interconnects on holiday in the States, which I then found out were of no use with my TV due to the line level issue :blush:

Did you buy the official Sony speaker stands? I've got their wall brackets for the rears, but am thinking of getting the stands for the front left and right. What do you think of them? How much and where from?

Super7

super7,

thats a shame that the leads u bought in the US doesn't really work.

yes i bought the official sony stands.

i bought my amp, remote, speakers+sub and stands from indigo-av.

speak to a guy (perhaps manager) called martyn. but he only sold it to me for £59.99 price matching hifibitz.co.uk coz i ordered several items. (well, hifibitz didn't have the 780 amp yet anyway. ;))

or ... u can just get a pair for £59.99 from hifibitz. they're good as well. i got my dvp-ns700 mr/rce dvd player from them for £199.

here's the link for the stands:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=SONWSFV10CS

the base is definetly heavy enough, and they will fit all sony pascal speakers i think. there are 2 different L shape pieces for the speaker to sit on. then u screw it in from underneath.

i'm happy with them. solid and sturdy and won't fall over. nice height adjustment.

but it's just a speaker stand at the end of the day :)

cheers,
dac

As for the Sony sound out issue I was going to go down the route of scart to phono lead to bypass the need to switch off your speakers every time you turn on the TV but have decided to leave it as it is. That way my girlfriend can watch TV as normal when I'm not there without having to worry about using the AMP for she is a simple creature bless her.

And I wouldn't suggest using DPL2 for music sources, stick to stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom