1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono Interconnect

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Hawklord, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I'm currently using a QED Qunex 1 phono interconnect to connect my Arcam cd72t to my amplifier. I am wondering if this interconnect is of suitable quality to get the best performance out of the cdp. Would I benefit from an upgrade or would this be overkill. I know you can spend loads on interconnects and would like some pointers to what sort of sum I would need to pay to get the best out of my kit without going overboard.

thanks

2. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Well I'm one of those that believes cables make a lot of difference. Cables only do one thing: they take information out of the signal. The better the cable, the less it'll take away. I'm of the opinion that cables (on the whole) take a lot away.

Unfortunately, I don't practice what I preach so my system's undercabled at the moment. There's always something else to buy first :(

I know I sound like a broken record but...

Have you tried Kimber cables from
    Russ Andrews? I started using them years ago and liked what they did for me. I've stuck with them ever since. Russ operates a 60 day home trial (send it back if you're not satisfied) and allows you to trade in cables against a better one when you feel the need to upgrade. You can get as much as 100% back.

D.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    QED Qunex 1 is a pretty good interconnect (I use one between my av amp and my integrated amp) for cd to amp I use Coppertech Alpha, cos I got a cheap pair and they're easier to handle (individual cables rather than one cable). I swapped the cables and if you tried really hard you could hear a difference, but it wasn't that great.

Best thing is to find a dealer who will let you borrow a set of what you're thinking of upgrading to so that if you can't hear any real difference then you won't have lost out.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    The Qunex 1 is ok for the price, but if you dig around then you will find a good interconnect for not silly money. For example, I recently bought a Sonic Link Violet for £45, for a 1m interconnect. This was an £80/£90 cable when it came out, and will likely be effortlessly better than the Qunex 1 IMHO.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I also believe that cables make a big difference in a system, after once being very sceptical. I also have an Arcam CD72 and was using a QEDQnect2 interconnect between that and my amp which is a Rotal RA01 but got the upgrade bug so changed it for a Kimber attenuated PBJ, which i did get for a good price off ebay, and the difference really was very noticeable. The sound is so much clearer, has more low end and is not as bright as it was. I would also try changing the mains lead as this has also made a massive difference to my system this has helped to make the sound 'cleaner' and definitely given more weight to it.

6. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote here for the Kimber PBJ attenuated interconnect, nice bit of wire, available now on a 60 day no quibble return to RA.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    thanks for all your feedback . I have gone for a van den hul d102 in the end. This should sugffice.