• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Phono cartridge / preamp voltages question

bsteiger

Novice Member
Hello all.

I had a question that hopefully the knowledgeable denizens of this forum will be able to help me with.

I'm looking to buy a new amplifier, to take phono, and a couple of line-level sources. My current Beomaster (although nice) is too bulky for my new flat, and I don't really need a built-in radio.

So I have been looking at some options and am liking the look of the A&R Cambridge A60... or maybe a Creek CAS4040.

Which brings me to my question!

My turntable is currently a ProJect RPM 1.3 Genie - with a ortofon OMB cartridge, with a Stylus 10.

This has an output voltage of 4mV - but the stated input voltage on the A60 is 2mV, and the manual for the 4040 says it "can only amplify and correctly match Moving Magnet cartridges, of about 2mV output..."

Should I be worried about either of these potential pairings?
Would I get distortion due to this mismatch in voltage?
Is a vintage amplifier just not right for this turntable/cartridge/needle?

Many thanks in advance for any help. Happy to add any details that I might have missed.
B
_

DT79

Distinguished Member
Hello all.

I had a question that hopefully the knowledgeable denizens of this forum will be able to help me with.

I'm looking to buy a new amplifier, to take phono, and a couple of line-level sources. My current Beomaster (although nice) is too bulky for my new flat, and I don't really need a built-in radio.

So I have been looking at some options and am liking the look of the A&R Cambridge A60... or maybe a Creek CAS4040.

Which brings me to my question!

My turntable is currently a ProJect RPM 1.3 Genie - with a ortofon OMB cartridge, with a Stylus 10.

This has an output voltage of 4mV - but the stated input voltage on the A60 is 2mV, and the manual for the 4040 says it "can only amplify and correctly match Moving Magnet cartridges, of about 2mV output..."

Should I be worried about either of these potential pairings?
Would I get distortion due to this mismatch in voltage?
Is a vintage amplifier just not right for this turntable/cartridge/needle?

Many thanks in advance for any help. Happy to add any details that I might have missed.
B
_
2mV does seem quite low. 4mV is petty typical for an MM cartridge these days. I’d give that one a miss; as you say, distortion could be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom