1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phono cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Cheng, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Are normal phono cables (the yellow,white + red plugged cables) analogue or digital?

I always thought they were analogue - I am very puzzled as my Tosh. 220e requires a digital coaxial cable to be connected in order for it to output DD 5.1, however I connected a yellow phono cable (a free one) and it outputs 5.1 fine?

Thanks.

2. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    From my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the yellow cable you are using is normally used to carry the composite video signal to the TV. Having said that, the lead is a 75 ohm one so will work with the digital connection as the digital leads are also 75 ohms.

You may be better off to upgrade the lead to something around the £20 mark as you will hear the improvement (depending on the kit you are using).

I managed to get a Ecosse "The Producer" cable from www.hifibitz.co.uk for £18.99 and could tell the difference from that and my old QED P75.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely a coax is a coax...... they will work for digital or analogue, the constriction is the same. Its only that a digital coax prefers additional things, like the terminations.

ad