phones for Tethering?

quickg

Standard Member
Which phones are suitable for tethering? I have heard iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy IIs are OK. Anymore?

Last edited:

KayCS

AFAIK any Android 2.2 or above phone can tether but I am no way 100% certain on this.

iPhones with their walled gardens though are probably a different matter.

Chris

Toshman

Novice Member
it also depends on your carrier. O2 wanted an extra £7.50 a month off me to tether when I had an iPhone but with my S2 it is free.

Toshman

Novice Member
quickg said:
Usually what speed could you get from tethering? Is it stable?

Depends on your internet connection, can't speak for any other phone but the S2 has been rock solid when tethered. You should get the same speed as whatever your internet connection is.

RobM

Distinguished Member
it also depends on your carrier. O2 wanted an extra £7.50 a month off me to tether when I had an iPhone but with my S2 it is free.

That's because they can control the iPhone but not Android. They want you to pay for tethering specifically regardless of your phone and their contract T&C's forbid it if you don't pay the extra, they just can't pro-actively stop you on anything but the iPhone :)

an3r0id

Toshman said:

It's free with O2. On their newer tariffs anyway

Ceejayav

Novice Member
Borrowing this thread as the title is exactly the question I wanted to ask... but with perhaps a slightly different emphasis.

First, this is for use outside the UK so I'm not asking about carriers and contracts - just asking about the phone. (And let's not get distracted by which bands ... I'll check that separately).

Second, this phone is purely for use as a phone and for tethering - no other smart phone features are required.

So, my question is - what is the cheapest phone of any type that can do tethering?

Will that be the cheapest Android phone?
I know a Nokia 6700 can do it ... anything else like that but cheaper?

TIA

RobM

Distinguished Member
Once you get to the likes of the 6700, if you still want cheaper you'll sacrifice performance and flexibility. The radio hardware simply wont be able to deliver a great service, even the 6700, as good a phone as it is, is old-tech when it comes to data performance.

If tethering is your one and only priority, I would look for a second-hand MiFi and then buy a cheap mobile to compliment it. The overall result will be far superior.

LJx

I used a samsung galaxy apollo for tethering for about a month before broadband installation it was on android 2.2 and only cost about 60 unlocked from carphone warehouse

Ceejayav

Novice Member
Thanks for the responses. The MiFi is an interesting idea, but it would mean two local SIMs and one more device to carry about.

I think I'm driven towards the cheapo Android ... though I can't find an unlocked Apollo for anything like £60 at CW or anywhere else!

Best bet seems to be a Galaxy Europa at £90 from play.com.

Any other ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom