phones 4u breach of contract question

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by shearn, Nov 26, 2010.

1. shearn

shearn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Someone I work with has bought a phone on contract for 24 months from phones 4u,

She originally had a contract with 02 but phones 4 u told her she could buy herself out of her contract and buy a new contract with orange thru them

They explained that they would terminate her 02 contract of £300, they told her they would give her £250 which she naively thought was money for her for whatever she wanted to spend it on even joking with the salesman she could buy better christmas presents with it ,after she had signed the contract it was made clear that the money was for paying off the o2 contract. this has left her with an outstanding balance of £50 which she is left to pay.

They took away her old phone a samsung tocco ultra for trade in,
    a box was ticked that showed a free gift was given but she didnt recieve any gift.
    the salesman showed her on a pc that coverage for orange was better than 02 but she now has very poor reception.

The phone they gave her was a nokia x6 on £35 per month,

When she was looking at the features on the phone there were photos taken 7 months earlier of various people in the phones 4 u shop.

after phoning and going back to the shop phones 4u are refusing to help her with her problems, I have suggested that she tries to make a compromise with them to at least get a phone that is worth the £35 a month tariff

Does anyone have any suggestions to what she can do

Thanks for any help

Shearn[-][/-]

2. prking

prking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The 'free gift' was the £250 to buy out the O2 contract.
    The reason they can do this is that you get a lower value handset with a higher value tariff. (They are giving less subsidy towards the handset).
    I suppose what this comes down to is two points:
    The supplied handset was 'second hand'
    A difference of opinion as to whether the deal was explained fully to your colleague.

To the first point, this should be straightforward. Contact phones4U and request an exchange for a new bowed handset.

The second point is more complex, the only record of the transaction is the paperwork. Anything else is one persons word against another. To complicate the issue even more there is a well meaning colleague who believes there is a better deal to be had.
    I don't know how your colleague can sort this. Ideally, she would have been happy with the deal before signing or leaving (as they ask you to say you realise there is no cooling off period). If it was me who had a change of mind, I would consider all the advice from various people; consider if there was any possibility I had misunderstood and then return to the store to sort it out. But bearing in mind a calm professional approach is necessary, as there will be an element of goodwill involved.

3. shearn

shearn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

Thanks for the reply

The outcome is that phones 4 u would only replace the phone for the same model but in a sealed box.

4. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Bit of a "buyers beware" situation. P4U are seen as the cowboys of the industry by the networks. Some great sales people work for them though.