Phoneline for multiroom??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by andloumeg, Jan 15, 2005.

1. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having Sky+ installed tomorrow with my existing box moved to the bedroom.
    Does my old box still have to have the phone line connected, or is it just the new Sky+ box (as I would have to run a HUGE extension to get from my socket to the box upsatirs!)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on how long you've had the old box. It has to stay connected for 12 months.

3. dsk19s

dsk19s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both have to be at all times otherwise u get letters telling u to connect them then you start paying full wack for the 2

4. pikachu

pikachu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive never had mine conected since i had sky installed, sky 7month, sky plus two month & never had any phone calls or letters yet.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If you are having the £10 multiroom subscription the yes BOTH boxes must be connected to the same phone line for the duration of the subscription, it's a security measure and is policed and enforced by SKY.

If you are going to use the existing digibox (moved to bedroom) as a FTA receiver or with a £20 FTV card it doesn't have to be connected to a phone line. The new SKY+ should be connected (you have agreed as such in the contract) but it is very very lightly enforced.

6. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had yhe old box for over 3 years....would I still need to connect the phoneline??

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you are getting multiroom, it doesn't matter how long you've had the boc, BOTH of them have to be connected to the same phoneline.

I left my Sky+ unplugged for about 2 months and got a letter from Sky.

John

8. WRX.CO.UK

WRX.CO.UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, 2 questions to ask, sorry if they have been answered elsewhere!

1. How do sky benefit from the phone line - is it a marketing thing, knowing which adverts you watch or something?

2. When installing how do they link the 2 sky digiboxes together where cabling is very difficult. Is it better to diy with your own equipment?

OK I know the answer to the second one already, UHF connection already inplace for TV and second LBN cable from dish to second digibox.
    Keeping both boxes in living room and using TVlink to control them.

Lee.

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    When you get multi room, you are effectively getting a second subscription for £10 - far less than the cost of the first subscription. The phone line connection makes sure that both boxes are in the same location otherwise you could, for example, give the second box and card to a family member and they would then get Sky for £10 a month.

The phone connection is also used when you order box office events.

John

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    My m8s a sky installer and he has a square 9v battery connected to a phone lead which he plugs into the sky box. The box believes theres a phone line so works normally, including pay for view services.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    ..... until the Sky card is full, or the subscription price limit is exceeded, whereupon the box won't accept any more PPV. Sky know which boxes have "phoned home", and if they are suspicious they can suspend the account. If your mate is buying PPV stuff with no intention of paying, that's theft, and he could be prosecuted for it. I wouldn't advise anyone else trying this, because getting another job is hard if you have a criminal record.

The 9V battery trick is well known to Sky.

12. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a letter from them. Basically the phone line in my multiroom is not the same as the main box. Turns out that the telephone line in that room (lodgers room) is actually an NTL one and not my BT one. Haven't got round to answering them yet, but what do people reckon? I mean the engineer fitted it all then said everything was fine. He even showed me how he had connected to the phone line (which didn't have a phone or anything in it BTW) and gone under the carpet. So it's all ok then? Yep he said. So why should I give a monkeys if it turns out it's in the wrong phone line. Didn't even remember I had a socket there in the first place. And stuff if I'm getting a BT connection in the room (which I don't need) for a sky box that no-one uses the phone line for (only use the main box for interactive type efforts), especially when the Sky engineer said everything was fine. I mean what would have happened if I didn't have a phone line in there? I assumed he would fit one. ie. make it all work. If not then what are they saying, you cannot have multiroom in a non-BT room? Erm.... He's an engineer. Whatever it takes to make it all work thanks. Whatever that may mean.

So what do you lot reckon to that one?

Cheers

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well, technically, you are in breach of the Multiroom terms and conditions so I guess that, ultimately, Sky could charge you full whack for the second card rather than the £10 they are currently charging.

John

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Basically read the T&C's of any contract/service you sign up for and don't rely on a contracted worker to know bugger all about the small print of a service even if he is fitting the hardware.

Simply put you can have multiroom as long as BOTH boxes are connected to the NTL line or the BT line so that when connected to SKY they confirm they are in the same location.
    It may be worth contacting SKY directly and informing them of the two phone providors in your home as long as both are in your name, there might be some flexibility if that is the case but then again maybe not.

15. dsk19s

dsk19s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ur right jon 6 months he'll be back saying that eng put it on wrong line and complaining about the extra subs

16. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally pathetic service then basically. Christ, and I thought NTL were bad. Back saying the engineer put it on the wrong line? Well yeah. I normally laugh at non-techy people (my job is a computer programmer) but c'mon. Hardly top tech we're talking here. "Sky I want Sky+ and MultiRoom, and I will pay you seriously high prices because lets face it there is no competition really", "Ok we will install it for you". You pay your money and couldn't give a monkeys about the little things. I mean grief if I knew that sort of mistake would be made I would install the thing myself.

Then again, I don't know their answer yet. Could be perfectly reasonable.

Out of interest, I thought Sky insisted on a BT line originally (they did when I got mine in 2000). I know that wasn't stuck to as my friend plugged his NTL line in, then changed the main phone numbers to go via the NTL cheapy phone number. Sky never chased up.

Cheers

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Did you inform the installer that the two phone points were actually for two seperate phone services?
    I suspect it's quite rate for a single home to have two landline suppliers and it's quite understandable for a third party to assume that they are either both BT or both NTL and by connecting to them he was making sure you were meeting the terms.

I seem to recall some issues in the early days with NTL lines but I don't think there has been any issues with them for years, certainly there are no problems with new installations if you only have a NTL or other telco sourced landline.