Phone v digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Pepper544, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Pepper544

Pepper544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Please excuse the very noobish question.

I am wanting to get a photo taken (kind of a portrait) and printed to approx 16" x 12" or 18" x 14".

I am assuming I will need a decent camera to take this.

I have an old fujifilm s6500 camera, 6.3 MP. I also have a 8mp new samsung phone camera.

My question is what will take the better pic to print at a bigger size?

I'm guessing the fujifilm camera will still be better then a phone camera even though it has lower mp. But I'm really new to any sort of photography apart from quick snaps on a phone.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,274
    Photobox seem to think you'll be fine with anything over 4MP for A3 (about 11 1/2" x 16 1/2")
    Resolution Guide For Quality Digital Photo Prints - PhotoBox

My experience of cameraphones is they may have higher megapixel counts but the use more aggressive compression so although the original image might have been higher resolution, the final JPEG file will be a bit more smeary.

My gut feeling would be that an older digital camera should still take a more pleasing image than a new cameraphone, but the differences are smaller and smaller these days.
    The best way to be sure would be to take the picture with both and chose the better final result.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    iPhones and Sony phones take decent pics. My HTC sucks big time and that's a 5MP camera. My wife's HTC is an 8MP and it's marginally better. No idea on Samsung though...

As above, take the same pic with both. Your eyes will tell you which you prefer ;-)

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,582
    My money is on the camera but as noted above if you have access to both then compare the two shots - feel free to post the comparison images for feedback :)

Jim

5. Pepper544

Pepper544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. Kind off makes sense that the camera is better then the phone. But I was not sure.

6. HNM43

HNM43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello Pepper544,

I'm not too sure which phone you have, so hard to say, but camera on phones are improving these day, something like the Sony Z1 and Nokia 1080 are great camera phone, these can compete with some point and shoot cameras out there and great to snapshot. However if looking at taking portrait, I think the your FujiS6500 maybe a better choice.

I am no camera expect (and have not use the Fuji S6500 before), but just thought a couple of point might be useful for you.

MP - megapixel is great but not everything, a 12MP Nikon D700 would beat a 41 MP Nokia 1080, and 6MP is very capable.

Lens - Good lens really contribute a lot to the image quality (IQ)

Portrait Lens - Camera lens come in 3 range, Wide angle (Anything less then 24mm, Normal (between 35mm - 85mm), Telephoto (Anything above 85mm), (a generalisation, I'm sure people may disagree with me on the exact details). Most if not all camera phone use Wide Angle to cover as much area as possible, wide angle isn't really great for portrait, it usually flatten the face features, making the portrait unflattering. For good portrait between 50mm to 85mm would be good.

So if you are planning to use what you got, then I would think the S6500 would be a better choice. Set your zoom between 12mm - 18mm (on your camera this is equivalent to around 50mm - 85mm). Put your camera on A, bring the F stop (e.g F2.8 - F4.9) to the lowest possible (i.e smallest number as possible) and focus point on the eye.

Also don't use to on-camera flash, it will flatten your images. I hope that help and good luck with your photos.

7. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    Actually that's incorrect, wide angle exaggerates features it doesn't flatten them ;)

8. HNM43

HNM43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you for the correction :)

9. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    No problem, also the lens on his cam will be marked in 35mm terms so he can set it at 85mm according to that.

10. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    If you are in good light and I mean good light (what you would to your eyes feels bright) then both will be the same and the phone for pure pixels may pip it, however it is and will always be about the glass!

Use the camera and make sure you are in free space (no shadow on wall behind you)
    in a well evenly lit place. Outside is best and if the camera allows you, Try it with the flash on and off. YES even in bright light a flash makes an awesome difference!

11. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495