Phone suggestions for these criteria?

MarkP80

Hi guys,

My wife is long overdue a new phone, and I was hoping you might be able to suggest a couple of options for her to have a look at. She has some specific requirements (wishes at any rate) which might point towards some specific models, so any suggestions you make would be appreciated!

1) She is studying at university, where she uses her laptop a fair bit, accessing her emails using Outlook 2007 and using the Outlook calendar. So, she would like a phone that easily and succesfully can synchronise with Outlook, for both emails and calendar.

2) She really doesn't want to have to learn how to configure or tinker with the phone, she would like something that once set up just works.

3) Camera is a nice to have but a top of the range one is not a priority.

4) She doesn't bother with music functions, so MP3 player functionality is not a high priority either.

5) She had a go of an iPhone and although she found the interface very intuitive, wasn't convinced by the touchscreen for texting, so is leaning towards real keys. However, if this phone is the best for item 1) and 2) above, she could possibly go this route.

6) It must have bluetooth so that it works with her car hands-free system

7) GPS would be nice

8) Internet is a must, but I presume this is a given if the phone syncs with Outlook?

9) I think Wi-Fi would be useful, but I suppose might not be necessary if the tarriff had unlimited data.

Can anyone help with suggestions for those criteria? The available phones is quite bewildering, and the Mrs really dislikes phone shops, so there's no chance of getting her in one without a short list at the very least. She's currently on O2, and i suspect she would wantto stick with them unless there really is a stand-out ideal phone that isn't available with that network.

any help appreciated :lease:

Cheers,
MarkP

RobM

Distinguished Member
What budget do you have for the phone?

My first thoughts are an iPhone, Palm Pre or the HTC Magic/Hero, but budget may be the limiting factor?

MarkP80

Hi Rob,

I'd already looked at the iPhone tarriff that showed the 16Gb 3GS for £87 with a £35/month fee, which she thought was ok. I don't think she'd want to pay more than this a month, but spending a bit of money for the right phone should be ok. Signing up to an 18 or 24 month contract again isn't really an issue, she's had her current phone probably 4 years i would guess.

Cheers,
MarkP

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
If you want a physical keyboard then the HTC Touch Pro2 and Samsung B7610 spring to mind. Both run Windows Mobile, which is good from the perspective of interfacing with Outlook, but not necessarily so good from the "does everything you want out of the box and doesn't require tweaking" angle. The Touch Pro2's camera isn't much cop, but in other respects it works very nicely. The interface is arguably not as intuitive as the iPhone.

RobM

Distinguished Member
On the subject of keyboards, the iPhone supports landscape keyboards in 3.0+ which makes life much easier if you don't get on with the normal layout.

MarkP80

Thanks for the suggestions and advice so far gents. She hadn't considered HTC phones before, and has now spotted the Touch HD II (yes, touch screen, I know :rolleyes:). Do you think this would fit the bill for her in terms of Outlook synching (calendar and emails)?

She was particularly taken with the screen size, and the Excel and Word functionality. The Internet application seems to get good reports too.

Rob, point taken regarding the iPhone landscape keyboard option, I suspect she wasn't aware of that, and that could well answer her original criticism. Bearing that in mind, do you think the windows OS of the HTC would be more suited to her needs than the iPhone? As I said, it's the Outlook integration that would be the most useful.

Those two options are particularly appealing because it means she can stick with O2 (ok, changing isn't a great hassle, but a couple of the kids have free O2 to O2 calls).

Cheers,
MarkP

RobM

Distinguished Member
Outlook integration is very good on both the iPhone and Windows Mobile handsets.

Obviously the WM handsets offer a mail experience closer to Outlook on the desktop, as that familiarity has been their selling point for years. But the email functionality in the iPhone is superb.

The HD2 will be a cracking handset but will offer quite a different experience to the iPhone. I would highly recommend getting some hands-on time with both before omitting yourself to them for 18-24 months.

WM6.5 that runs on the HD2 is very good and is a big jump from WM6.1, in terms of the user experience and the pretty fluffy stuff that makes it nice to use. It's a very good OS.

I am fortunate enough to get early experiences of new mobiles quite often, and I still maintain the iPhone is the best all rounder on the market and Blackberry is the best mail and messaging platform. The biggest win for the iPhone though isn't the phone, it's the iTunes/AppStore ecosystem that surrounds it and makes it very easy and enjoyable to make the phone do much more than it does out of the box. Something that often takes people by surprise as they never thought they would care about such things.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom