• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Phone Sockets

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if there is a difference between phone sockets from different companies? I have just bought a house and the previous owner has 3 NTL phone sockets at various points around the house that do not work on my activated sky phone line.
I was wondering if I could link them together somehow to activate the other sockets as they are in very useful locations, and my current single working socket is not in an overly useful area!

tbc

Banned
I think you have to get a BT engineer to connect the NTL master socket to your BT (Sky) line before they will work.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Trace back the extension wiring from each ntl socket, they may have just been disconnected somewhere.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Open the NTL sockets up & have a look how they're wired. My understanding is that the only important pair these days is blue/white & white/blue which should be connected to terminals 2 & 5. All you need to do then is trace the wiring back & if necessary, run a new cable from the newly installed socket to the first extension. Assuming that the NTL sockets are still wired.

UK Telephone Wiring

If one of the sockets has a large capacitor in it then that's an old master socket which may interfere with ADSL.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
I'll try the suggestions here.
The previous owner was with Virgin, so assumed they were just phone sockets that I could connect up to the BT master socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom