Phone socket wiring?

mouser240

Standard Member
Help needed please.
We have a 3 storey house and the top and bottom floors have phone sockets which work ok. The socket on the middle floor does not work. It has the usual six wires in it and they seem to be in the correct places, but we also have 4 extra wires in there,? the colours of the extra ones are Blue, Orange,Brown and Green, and I dont know what they are?
(We do have Sky in the house, are they possibly something to do with that. ) The Blue cable is not connected inside the box, should I connect it to a terminal. I am wondering if when the carpet fitter came he accidentally knocked the socket and it pulled a wire out. It used to work, but we havent tried to get it to work for ages.
Not sure what to do, and dont want to call someone out only for them to just insert one wire or something.:lease:

Last edited:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
First of all not all six wires should be connected. The convention is Blue & White to 2, White & Blue to 5 and Orange & White to 3. Having said that modern phones do need connector 3 and having it connected can affect broadband speed and so I would stick to 2 and 5.

That box could be a second line. Is it a Master Socket? Now would be a good time to locate your Master Socket as well.

Last edited:

Spoonboy90

It may be that the blue needs connected, depends what the others are connected too? and where the other end is, is it in the back of one of the other sockets if so what colours are connected there?

Help needed please.
We have a 3 storey house and the top and bottom floors have phone sockets which work ok. The socket on the middle floor does not work. It has the usual six wires in it and they seem to be in the correct places, but we also have 4 extra wires in there,? the colours of the extra ones are Blue, Orange,Brown and Green, and I dont know what they are?
(We do have Sky in the house, are they possibly something to do with that. ) The Blue cable is not connected inside the box, should I connect it to a terminal. I am wondering if when the carpet fitter came he accidentally knocked the socket and it pulled a wire out. It used to work, but we havent tried to get it to work for ages.
Not sure what to do, and dont want to call someone out only for them to just insert one wire or something.:lease:

like someone said mate..terminals 2 and 5 need connected..usually blue white/white blue.......i work for openreach pal and it wud cost to get folk out..do you need it would be another question..

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom