1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone recommendations please

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by iZombine, Jun 30, 2005.

1. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I want to buy a new phone but I don't know which one to get.

Over the past year i've had Siemens SL55, Motorola V620, V3 & Sony Ericsson K700. Both the Motorola's I found very boring with hardly any features and sold both of them with in about two months of having them.

The Sony I found had more features but the Joy stick control thing keeps freezing.

The Siemens also didn't have many features.

So I'm looking for a phone with lots of features and is very stylish.

I've looked at the Samsung D500 which i Like but i've heard it has some problems.

I've never had a Nokia so I'm looking at those at the moment.

Recommendations please

2. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,751
    K750i.

I moved onto this from K700i, and it is a vast improvement. There are some bugs with it, but there should be a (DIY) firmware update available soon to recitify most of those. Some of the improvements over the K700i are listed below.

- so much better camera (2 MP Vs VGA)
    - Memory Slot (64 Mb included)
    - Radio with RDS
    - better battery life
    - USB Cable included for updating online
    - better display (260k Vs 65k)
    - Mp3 SMS Tones

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I-mate Jam?
    can't buy anything with more features than one of these, and despite the "PDA" tag the Jam is quite small (not much bigger than a K750i really)

4. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

Is the K750i going to be available on T mobile?

Is it possible to upgrade the memory card on the K750i? I couldn't see any on the Sony Ericsson web site.

The I-mate Jam does look pretty good but it seems there's no support for it.

I also couldn't find any memory cards for that.

I would like to store some music and animation clips on the phone so a 1GB card would be nice.

My friend told me that it is possible to compress a movie on to a card 1GB card, is that true?

5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,751
    Link to the K750i

www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...oader&php=php1_10242&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10242

I think T-mobile are using the D750i as their K750i equivilent. Link below. it has a slightly different case, but I believe the essentials are the same, it is just a T-Mobile exclusive.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp...oader&php=php1_10244&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10244

The memory stick duo cards are upgradable, and 1gb editions are becoming readily available now. It is a hot swap aswell, so you don't have to turn the phone off to change the card, as it is on the side.

Ricky

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Loads of support for I-Mate jam on http://forum.xda-developers.com

It's also the same phone that T-Mobile sells as the MDA compact.

As far as storage the Jam takes standard SD cards, a 1gb card will cost you about £40.

Assuming you drive a car you can also install TomTom Sat Nav software then pick up a GPS recever and you have got full in-car SatNav as well. add a bit of software called Checkpoint and it will also warn you when you approach speed cameras!

I have an XDAIIs (aka I-Mate PDA2k) and on a 1Gb card can fit about 10 full music CD's as WMA @ 128k bitrate Plus All the TomTom maps etc..

I convert video files from AVI/MPEG to WMV using the free Encoder from MS Website and have found that generally 30mins of good quality video uses about 45Mb of space.

Can also get some pretty good games for Windows Mobile now as well.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    Have you looked at the Sendo X?

I got mine a few months back, and overall for features, programability, customisation it's great.

It runs a custom Sendo version of the older Symbian OS, which is a big step forwards in terms of actually using the handset, in comparison to the standard OS.

Takes both types of memory card, comes with stereo headset etc, has an excellent camera/camcorder and the best sound reproduction of ANY phone I've heard. The 'VoiceMenu' system works really well too.

The only drawback is on 'livability'... It's small for what it is... but very square and fairly thick too.
    You know when you've got your phone in your pocket...which admittedly aint always a bad thing ! :rolleyes:

The 'X2' will be out sometime in 2019, if the launch of the 'X' was anything to go by.. :D

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Wouldn't bet on any new Sendo releases in the near future as the company has gone into Administration. Rumours are that Motorola are picking up the debts.