1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone (RCA) leangth. Will 14 Metres loose quality from Amp to Sub?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by iMan, Dec 11, 2003.

1. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in the middle of installing an Home Cinema Projector system. My A-V Amp is 4 metres away from the Bass Subwoofer, for me to run the phono lead from the Sub to the Amp routing it properly around the scirting boards will come to 14 metres.

The man at the shop told me that if I used a Phono cable that long it will loose amperage/power/quality? something like that anyway.

Is it okay to use a Phono lead that long? has onyone experienced problems with such a long Phono lead from the Amp to their Sub?

2. Stu M

Stu M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If its an active sub which I assume it should be fine but it might get some noise pickup fro fridges and washing machine motors. If it works then don't worry all will be fine :)
    Regards
    stuart

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just buy a slightly better shielded lead and make sure it's a dedicated sub lead and you'll do the best you can.

4. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just put down an 8 metre lead and it works fine with my active sub, though I should point out that there are no other appliances anywhere near that part of the house other than the AV set-up so perhaps I can't be too sure about how you'd fair with washing machines etc!