phone line for additional box

d3m0n

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on the breach of ordering my sky+ install and i cant seem to find any details in their T&C's with regards to having the relocated box (which is going in the bedroom) constantly plugged into the phone.

My problem is that we dont have a phoneline in the bedroom and it would be an absolute nightmare to run phone cable all the way up there.....:(

I need some advice cos i dont want to splash out 200 beer vouchers only to be told "sorry mate but we cant install it cos you dont have a phone socket in ya bedroom"

I can understand why the +box has to be plugged in but why should the relocated box?

Any advice would be appriciated

sorry mate but youve got to have a phone line for both boxes:mad:

if you want a mirror sub,

if the cable run is going to be such a nightmare have you thought about a wireless phone line extender available from index catalogue shop or lektropaks online for around £69.00:D

Originally posted by morphy
[Bhave you thought about a wireless phone line extender available from index catalogue shop or lektropaks online for around £69.00:D [/B]

It might be cheaper to get BT to put an extension in! That's what I did. Sorry I can't remember how much it cost though

Dave

Depending on the layout of your home, would it not be possible to run the 'extension lead' outside? I had a task hiding a lead up the stairs etc for a bedroom extension. I'd have been better running it up the external wall & out & in through a window frame for ease. My next socket will have the lead going up an external wall but will then be that will later be 'inside' due to an extension. This will give me a socket next to the TV.

I've just had Sky+ & a relocation of the existing box done today and I'm going to give it a try without the phone connection on the 2nd box. Sky tell you that you have to have it and that they will check, but according to the installer the chances are that they won't check it (as long as your main box is connected).
If Sky get shirty about this I will say that the phone extension has broken and that I will get it replaced

I disconnected the phone line from our second box that had a mirror subscription and three months later Sky wrote and told me I would have to reconnect the line or they would charge the full price for the second box. I cancelled the second card as did not use that box very much, as Sky+ has two decoders anyway, and most programs are repeated if there is ever three things on at the same time.

I have had Sky Dig for 2 or 3 years now and my phone line was unplugged after the first week or so - this due to the fact that that line is the second phone line and is constantly connected to the internet - Sky have never contacted me about this... Am i right in assuming that as my initial 12 month contract has expired, they cannot now contact me?

Also whats the crack when they install sky +? do you get a new dish - or do they put a twin lnb on your existing one and run a new cable to the second box?

Thanks for any comments

Originally posted by eas4uk
Am i right in assuming that as my initial 12 month contract has expired, they cannot now contact me?

Also whats the crack when they install sky +? do you get a new dish - or do they put a twin lnb on your existing one and run a new cable to the second box?

Once your twelve month contract has expired they will not contact you (unless you have a second mirror subscription - in which case you must have the phoneline connected at all times!!)

As for Sky+ they add a "quad" (4-socket) lnb to your exisiting dish and run another cable...

Originally posted by JohnG
Sky tell you that you have to have it and that they will check, but according to the installer the chances are that they won't check it (as long as your main box is connected).
If Sky get shirty about this I will say that the phone extension has broken and that I will get it replaced

Not in my experience :( :thumbsdow I disconnected mine and had a threatenning letter throught the post within a very short space of time telling me to plug it back in or I will be charged full price for the mirror subscription (ie £40 instead of £12!) - they also would not hear any such excuses as broken phone extension - bastards! :mad:

hhhhmmmm im not sure what to do about this now......the quick option is to bodge a temp phone line up to the bedroom and just get it installed.....then i spose i should run it all through properly once they are nice enough to send a letter through telling me i have to pay X amount or else (sounds very nice!)

Its gonna be a right pain in the arse whatever way i do it....anyone know if thos cordless extension boxes are any good?

I don't know if you can connect when new, disconnect, reconnect following a warning. If you then discnnect do you get a further warning? etc I'd be inclined to get the extension fitted. However I thought with + I don't really need another box, just the link, & save the cash & sell my old box. Three Sky viewers in the house (me, wife & child) with different tastes & + suffices.

They are going to fit my Sky + in my bedroom where I have a phone socket already . I have an ADSL filter in it connecting my broadband and my upstairs phone. Will this still be ok for them to install it ??

Originally posted by rawowl
If you then discnnect do you get a further warning?

Yes.

They are going to fit my Sky + in my bedroom where I have a phone socket already . I have an ADSL filter in it connecting my broadband and my upstairs phone. Will this still be ok for them to install it ??

No it will cause bother with your broadband.

Originally posted by WeirdFish
No it will cause bother with your broadband.

Could you please explain Why and how this could be resolved please :(

Could you please explain Why and how this could be resolved please :(

Broadband is a good system but it is very fickle with whats connected to it. Unfiltered alarms cause bother as do some phones, even if filtered.

I'm only going on my experience, its my job, and I've had several faults that have been traced to wireless pstn extenders.

Bottom line is adsl WILL NOT work over them but even if they are on the same circuit they CAN cause sync & connection issues. I can't say that it will definately cause a prob but I have experienced enough of them to not recommend them on adsl lines.

HTH

I've not grasped the conversation i don't think. My + is connected ( with filter ) & both BB & Sky work fine. I think Weirdfish was saying wireless extenders & BB don't mix, but I'm not sure. As long as phone type devices (+ included) have a filter I don't see why they wouldn't work. As for wireless extenders, it seems weirdfish has experience.

A few years ago I tried to get the full package on one box and a second cheap duplicate subscription on another. The truth being the other box was owned by my brother and we planned to split the subscription. The second box never did come to life because SKY knew they both wern't plugged in let alone on different phone lines. In the end I gave up trying to con them and left my brother to his own devices.
I ended up telling SKY that by plugging in the second box I had exceeded my REN value and so to cancel the second subscription. Max 4 x Ren 1 items per phone line. Exceed this and your phones don't ring and other oddities start to appear appear appear.
In a typical house you could have 2 phones, a digibox, the burglar alarm, a modem and God knows what else so in fact you may not be able to have a second Digibox installed anyway:thumbsdow

Originally posted by STOWITBELOW
I've not grasped the conversation i don't think. My + is connected ( with filter ) & both BB & Sky work fine. I think Weirdfish was saying wireless extenders & BB don't mix, but I'm not sure. As long as phone type devices (+ included) have a filter I don't see why they wouldn't work. As for wireless extenders, it seems weirdfish has experience.

Well this afternoon I phoned both SKY and B.T (my internet provider) Both seemed confident that with a filter there should be no problem. :rolleyes: They must have many situations like mine so I will just have to wait and see.

Also SKY said that it wont be a problem leaving the existing system downstairs and to put SKY + in my bedroom .

My appologies for giving the wrong impression. I am referring to the wireless pstn things and also those phone extns via the mains. The thing to bear in mind is that the over riding limitation with broadband is distance from the exch. The closer you are to the limits the more likely problems are.

BTW the REN thing is also dependent on line length. The closer you live to the exch the more devices you'll be able to get away with.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom