Phone connections (what cables go where) ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by loadsofleads, Jul 12, 2004.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any BT engineers out there, I have a BT cable and need to connect it to a standard BT slave socket. I know there are four cables which need connecting into six different ports. Anybody know what colour goes where, so that I can use the phone and XBOX live ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The wiring for standard colours is as follows (which not all cable manufacturers follow)

Conn No. Usual Cable Colour - Function

1 N/A No connection
    2 Blue with White Bands Speech and Ringing
    3 Orange with White Bands Ringing
    4 White with Orange Bands dont think it is used
    5 White with Blue Bands Speech and Ringing
    6 N/A No connection.

But dont forget you need an adsl filter (aswell as a filter for everything else connected to the phone line) and they usually have a connecion for the phone and the adsl modem.

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers colesy, do I have to have a filter, those buggers cost about £6.00 :eek:
    Can't I just put it straight from the Xbox into the box and forget about the phone :blush:

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi taffyboyo,
    Well I don't mean to be a bit condesending, but do you know how the xbox and adsl broadband connection works? If you don't then please dont't take this the wrong way, and I apologise if I am teaching you how to suck eggs.

1st off you need a broadband connection and broadband ISP. The xbox does not contain it's own modem so you need a modem that will take an ethernet connection from your xbox.
    You will need a filter on every device connected to the phone, even if it isnt being used at the time you are playing the xbox.
    You don't need a phone connected. But you must have your broadband modem connected via a filter.

I have missed a few bits out, just for a quick reply. If you need anymore help, just reply.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: I just stick cable into xbox, stick cable into bt socket and it no work ;)
    Are you telling me that the sweet Mr Gates failed to include a modem in his £250 machine, what a ****er :suicide:
    I have a BT Openworld 1.1mbs broadband connection and use it with my pc, to use the Xbox with this connection your telling me I need to buy a modem :confused:

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  7. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The modem I have is USB, it goes straight into the computer and then back out into the BT socket, If I buy a long RJ11 cable from my XBOX to my computer, how could I connect it :confused:

8. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16