Phishing warning issued by MS

DJSigma

Ex Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone here would fall for this nonsense, but you never know. People are sending messages to other users playing Modern Warfare 2 and trying to phish for personal info. MS have a warning about it on the Xbox Live service status page: -

Users may experience difficulties with the following services:

Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2.

We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.
Xbox Live Status

you'd have to be a gimp to fall for any scam on xbox live, i can see countless young teens falling for it though and tbh they deserve it ;)

Yeah - all you need is for some kid who's just started on Live to get one and not realise what it is. Crap really. If they send out 1000 messages, and get a 1% return, that's still 10 people who've fallen for it.

Phishing scams are really getting on my nerves. I'm getting about 4 emails a day for the moment trying to get my WoW details. I know they're scams because I've never had a WoW account... :rolleyes:

I find it hilarious how people fall for scams on XBL. Oh please, like some msfreepoint.whatever the hell it is.com is going to give you free MS points -.- Idiots.

This will have been brought out because of Sony admitting to everyones details being compromised on the Playstation Network, it's a right royal mess over there.

Thats what they get for the years of "But our Service is free" rubbish, its Free becuase its crap. Can you imagine xbox live being down for a week+ the internet would explode:rotfl::rotfl:

Xbox Live was down (not completely down, but mostly down) for 13 days about 3 years ago. MS gave everyone a (crap) free game as compensation. It's not exactly the same as the Sony situation though, as it was down because of an influx of new users at Christmas time, not because someone hacked the network and stole people's personal information.

The free game wasn't too bad! It was Undertow if anyone wants to know. 800 points would have been better though...

If anyone falls for this then more fool them to be honest. This sort of social engineering thing is almost always behind the "my account was hacked" crao on the xbox.com forums..

It wasnt hacked , you gave someone your details over a modded lobby/free points scam you fool

DJSigma said:
Xbox Live was down (not completely down, but mostly down) for 13 days about 3 years ago. MS gave everyone a (crap) free game as compensation. It's not exactly the same as the Sony situation though, as it was down because of an influx of new users at Christmas time, not because someone hacked the network and stole people's personal information.

Wasnt down just was random connection, i got on OK apart from one day never knew what the fuss was about

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

The free game wasn't too bad! It was Undertow if anyone wants to know. 800 points would have been better though...

I emailed ms and told them my 360 was away being repaired with the rrod so it wasnt fair that i could get the free game.
1 week later an email with 800 points :D

All Microsoft need to do is add a feature to the Xbox 360 that screenshots each of these phishing messages as a picture attachment to the Xbox 360 message and once the complaint gets filed the evidence is sent to microsoft with the exact gamertag directly to a person on the other end who looks at it and then takes action.

I'm one of those people who generally thinks that if a person falls for a scam, it makes them a bit of a doofus, but if you've ever watched "The real hustle", there are some truly ingenious scams out there, that an awful lot of people would fall for.

Having said that, if you fall for a scam on XBL or an email, you are a bit of as doofus. I'm sure there are enough stories out there about scams, and I'm sure that most people with access to the internet are aware of such scams by now, but sadly it still happens.

I also think that if over 18's are playing MW2 (as they should be, although I'm not opening a new thread here), they would perhaps fall prey to this less than the kids aged under 18 (I've heard a 6 year old swearing during a MW2 match!!)

tuppence worth given:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom