1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philps 9618 Cordless Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mangerman, Sep 14, 2003.

1. mangerman

mangerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just got a Philips 9618 28" TV wtih DD5.1. The surround speakers are cordless but have interference no matter where I put the receiver box. I tried connecting directly using 2xphono to 3.5mm jack. (Actually wasn't long enough so connected to a 2xphono sockets to 2xphono ext cable). Works fine but when I turn the telly off it hums loudly. No heres the stupid question! The manual states I should use a cinch to 3.5mm jack cable, is this different to 2 x phono's or not? Any idea's on the humming before I phone philips and complain? Any help appreciated.

2. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mine did exacly the same thing, the humming I think is due to the transformer in one of the speakers. In fact the rubbishy speakers are what caused me to start investigating proper AV amps and speakers and boy am I glad I did. The quality of picture of the tv deserves better sound than 3 namby pamby little drivers in the TV cabinet can provide.

In my honest opinion the only way you will get decent rear sound from that set up is to scrap the crumby RF rears and feed some new speakers from a stereo amp via the TV rear preouts. Alternatively make a venture in to proper home cinema and by a starter AV amp. You WILL be impressed by the sound quality in comparison

Matt

3. Rolnikov

Rolnikov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same two problems with these speakers - the humming drove me mad, but I did realise in the end that it was much worse with the tv muted. It ebbed away when I was watching a program, but was still noticeable.

The interference was a problem too - I eventually found it disappeared, but not depending on where the speaker was placed, but depending which direction it was pointing in.