1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philps 42PF9965

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Howard18, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Howard18

Howard18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy who is installing the family plasma screen reccomended this site -it looks very comprehensive.
    I have decided that the system for our house should be the Philips 42PF9965 - wall mounted.

The best price I have come across on the net is £3475 including delivery.
    If someone can answer the following I would be indebted.

(1): Am I O.K. to use the net for a purchase of this size?
    (2): Does any body know where I can purchase cheaper consistant with high retail quality.

2. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howard18,

What made you choose the Philips 42PF9965 rather than the panasonic or pioneer?

As I'm considering the Philips 42PF9965 myself, can you explain what did you like about the philips?

Thanks

3. Howard18

Howard18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arshad,

I couldn't afford the Sony!

Seriously, very high pixel count (1024x1024).
    Pixel Plus - Philips design
    Progressive scan - Philips design
    Seperate tuner. Ideal if wall mounting (only one cable)
    2 year warranty
    I could go on.

Regards - Howard18

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    If it's a Philips product you could well need this. ;)

5. Howard18

Howard18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can I say!
    I do not have the experience to judge - only the spec and some "experts" comments.

6. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this model for about a month - really pleased with it.

I paid £3500 locally for it and at the time that was the best price I could find either shops or web.

One thing to note - it takes two people to fit it to the wall as the screen is quite tricky to allign with the bracket especially if like me you have it relatively high on the wall.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Philips doesn't stand very tall here, pixel plus seems problematic, the contrast is lacking, it's an alis panel therefore intrinsically interlaced, the separate tuner is of course analogue, it is possible to have a single cable without a tuner, you could have a PW6 for 3K and have a MUCH better screen, get a freeview box, pehaps a netgem, and have 30 or so channels, spend the rest on a nice prog. scan DVD. If you already have a sound system you don't need confusing extra speakers on the plasma, making it look bulky, and probably sounding pants too. You might infer from this I disagree with your choice! But, it's your choice, have you seen it beside a good plasma, well set up for comparison? No, probably not cos only department stores and high st steam iron shops bother to sell them. It's a lot of money for a 'white goods' type of product.

8. Howard18

Howard18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

You say that you mounted it high. With the benefit of hindsight do you wish that you had mounted it nearer the floor?
    I'm looking at about 5 feet from the floor to centre point.

Howard

9. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...then again if you look at the reviews the contrast is great, and Pixel Plus is amazing (with Movie Plus mode). It's an ALiS panel, which means that you have a startling good resolution, unlike lesser plasmas like the Panny's which have a lower resolution than what is broadcast, for goodness sake (I'll never understand why so many of you guys put up with a plasma which shows you less detail than my 14" portable). It's an ALiS panel, so it's brighter and will last longer.

I've shortlisted the 37" version - £2600ish I've seen it for.

I'm not an expert, so maybe there are good reasons why Pannys stand taller around here than Philips or Hitachis (the latter being the UK's best selling plasma). However, if black level and contrast are only good enough on a Panny plasma, in my opinion then no plasma is good enough - because I would never buy something that's only showing 480 lines when PAL broadcasts 576.

But that's just me.

Peter

10. Howard18

Howard18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Can you please tell me what a PW6 is?
    My search engine only came up with a pressure washer!

Howard

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hitachis sell well cos they are cheap and offer good value for money. Magazine reviews, don't get me started... What you buy depends also on what you want to end up with. If you want a TV, get a Hitachi or Pio.434. If you want an integrated, seamless home entertainment system in keeping with your stylish lifesyle purchase, ie a plasma, then get something else. On a tight budget my money would be spent on a PMA400. If I could go the extra, I'd get a panasonic. Stuff the resolution, you might think everything is broadcast at 576x768, and whilst technically this is so, much of the source material is not, and in any case with an analogue broadcast like the TV plasmas receive, the point is almost entirely negated. Alis panels are not really brighter than anything else, there are more cases of screenburn with alis reported here than anything else, and the smoothness and sheer 'filmic' quality of the panasonic image particularly with a good progressive source, is what wins it for me. You are of course right, there is no such thing as a perfect panel, and I don't own one, I just fit and set them up. I have a pal native projector currently, and take your point about resolution. BUT, if nobody told you what the resolution was, and sat you in a chair to compare them, you'd never know. PS, PW6 is new panasonic screen.

12. marcello

marcello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a philips 9965 42 inch screen and a friend of mine has the pano 6. He is bitterly dissapointed now he has seen mine. when you watch a dvd it looks high def but more importantly it looks great with with sky which for most people is the day to day enviroment in which you watch most of the time. the pano 6 looks great with dvd but as soon as you put on sky it looks horrendous.
    unfortunately when you see the philips in the high street the picture is coming from an aeiral lead and it is a currys broadcast to all tvs.

13. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My screen is about 5.5 feet from floor to center - at first I thought it was high but now it seems ideal for viewing.

I wanted it high to leave room for a fireplace which I'm planning to put underneath & everyone who's seen it thinks it looks great.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I simply cannot agree the panny looks bad with sky, it's been set up wrong. Is RGB enabled? Come to that, DVD looks quite good even with composite, but much better with RGB turned on. The panny scart auto senses the signal, so it will work no matter what you've done, but much better with a tiny bit of care. The Philips processes every video source, making them all look much of a muchness, none can be as outstanding as a well tended signal on the Panny