1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philps 32pw9527

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dmach22, Oct 15, 2002.

1. dmach22

dmach22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HI All,
    Its my first post so excuse my inexperience. I 've been reading about the ongoing debate about the 9527 model and I think I must be very lucky because i've had one for a couple of months ( paid only £988 @ QED ) and the picture quality is superb. Anyway my query is when I play a DVD/SVCD recorded in the NTSC format through a RGB scart I find a new option in the digital options menu in called Progressive scan, it seems to add more depth/detail to the picture without any digital nasties unlike pixel plus which is very unatural and in my opinion is a bit of a white elephant. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Duncan

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does the "Double Lines" option disappear in NTSC mode? If so then "Progressive Scan" is just a renamed Double Lines mode, [any other 9527 owners care to elaborate??] and I suspect, "Progessive Scan" mode are displayed using an internal de-interlacer and line doubler (interpolator).

The image I get using "Double Lines" on my 9617 (using NTSC and PAL) is very good, but I personally prefer Pixel+ even though it does have ocassional artefacting. :)

3. dmach22

dmach22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks,
    Yes you are right about double lines being missing but also the normal 100hz setting dissapears when I switch to the progressive scan setting, mind you I have been able to have all 4 settings available when I leave the dvd/svcd playing and switch channels to EXT1 where I have a Digital STb input but normally the progressive scan setting dissapears once I change the option.
    Thanks
    Duncan

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Double Lines is actually not progressive, but interlaced (1152i instead of 576p; 50 fields/sec). With 60Hz input though, the Double Lines mode would become identical to the 60Hz version of Pixel Plus (960i; 60 fields/sec), and that is why it is not available then.

I don't know why they even kept the Double Lines mode on the Pixel Plus sets, since that mode was intended for 60Hz input. It's weird. It would have been better if they kept the raw 100Hz mode. :rolleyes:

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Odd... I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Double Lines Mode on the 9617 was an internal progressive mode. Your explanation certainly does make sense though given that Double Lines disappears with NTSC... the 100Hz option is still available to me however (which I assume is actually 120Hz).

Apologies to dmach22 for the misleading info.

rct once again bows down to the god of Philips :D