Philly DA

Jo March

Read this start of this review of this series from The Guardian and then watch the series.

Your time will be well spent.

Such is the tenor of our times that the first thing I did before embarking on the docuseries Philly DA: Breaking the Law (BBC Four) was research its subject, Larry Krasner. Because there has to be a catch, right? An eight-hour film about a civil rights defence lawyer winning a landslide victory to become the first progressive district attorney in a notoriously conservative, corrupt city just doesn’t scan. A chronicle of him fighting ceaselessly for genuine change from within? No. Not in 2021. I’ve been here before. I want to be forearmed against the big reveal. So I searched. For the charges of fraud, revelations of – oh, I don’t know – historical sexual assault. That’s normally it, isn’t it? Maybe child abuse, to match the high – remember, it was not just a simple victory, but a landslide! – with the low. I put nothing past 2021, nothing at all.

But his record, as far as any awfulness is concerned, is like the Bellman’s map – a complete and perfect blank. Hard as it is to believe, Philly DA is a film about a good, not perfect man surrounding himself with good, not perfect people and trying to make a difference in a far from perfect world.

It’s autumn 2017, and outsider Larry Krasner is running for district attorney of Philadelphia, the most incarcerated big city in America. Krasner joins a new crop of 'progressive prosecutors' across America, who are paving the way for change. A new policy on cash bail will be the first major announcement of his office, the first of many controversial decisions.

The story of Krasner's tenure is a captivating and relevant real-life legal drama that poses a crucial and timely question: can America’s broken criminal justice system really be fixed?

In a groundbreaking eight-part series, Storyville charts Krasner's shock election and tumultuous first term. As Larry and a new team take charge, the series follows his radical experiment to upend the criminal justice system from the inside out.

In 2017, Philadelphia is the most incarcerated big city in the United States. With Larry as DA, Philadelphia becomes the epicentre of a historic experiment that could shape the future of prosecution in America for decades to come. His long-shot campaign to become district attorney

is run on a bold pledge: to end mass incarceration by changing the culture of the criminal justice system.

He upsets the establishment, winning by a landslide. As he takes office, the police, whom he denigrates loudly during his campaign, become his rank-and-file law enforcers and co-workers. Pressure comes from all sides of a system resistant to reform. Krasner’s unapologetic promise to use the power of the DA’s office to enact sweeping change now threatens to alienate those he needs to work alongside.

From the eye of this political storm, film-makers Ted Passon, Yoni Brook and Nicole Salazar gain unique access to Krasner’s office, going behind the scenes to observe the daily struggles of Larry and his team as they try to solve the seemingly insurmountable issues within the criminal justice system: police brutality, the opioid crisis, gun violence, racism, and mass incarceration. In doing so this drama

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom