1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips widescreen problem :(

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Spoonman2, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hello all,
    I have a 28" Phillips widescreen tele`, is about 4 years old, and the screen has started to go funny on me.

I now get the first quarter of the screen, on the left is the correct colour, as in black on dark scenes, but the other three quarters of the screen has a green hue to it, which also kicks up ghosting to the right, for about half an inch.

So when you get a dark scene, as in Blade 2, it is REALLY noticable.Is the tube going?

Any comments would be appreciated peeps.

Spoony.

P.S. There are no magnetic fields near to the set either, thats the first thing i thought of . :)

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I have a 5.5 year old Philips 32" WS- 32PW9631, nice TV.
    No probs with this yet.

When a tube is on the way out , you normally see blooming or solarisation over most of the screen (not just certain areas) depending on where the highlights of the picture being viewed are (bright areas).

To check for/remove purity errors (due to magnetism) , unplug TV from the mains for a full half hour. Then plug in & switch on your (now cold) TV ; this is to ensure a cold thermistor which ensures that the built-in degausser operates - you should hear a low frequency hum for a second or two as this operates.

If something has aged & upset convergence circuitry etc. , it may be possible to correct this via the service menu ; if you attempt this, write down all your original settings before tinkering with the adjustments !
    You also need to know what code/combiantion is needed to enter this menu.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks for the reply Chris, i have tried, but to no avail, anyone else got any ideas before i ditch the thing? :)
    Ghosting seems to be getting worse quickly.

Many thanks,
    Spoony.

4. mark pearce

mark pearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spoony,

Wouldn't be a 28 PW 9616 (or similar) by any chance would it? Needing a new picture tube?

Sorry to hear 'bout your probs. I've run into a few of my own :-( Pi**ed off, ain't the word!

My 28PW9616 less than 20 months old, definitely has a tube fault & needs a new tube to fix (according to Endeva - Philips national subcontracted service organisation) and I'm still facing a £100 repair bill (even though I took the precaution of taking out an additional 5-year tube only warranty extension just after purchase.)

Just to cheer you up (not!) Philips couldn't give a stuff, Endeva say talk to Philips, Philips say: "sorry, not our problem, you have to take it up with Domestic & General" (who administer the insurance backed warranty, supposedly on behalf of Philips) , Domestic & General say talk to Philips, who say you need to talk to etc. .... (get the picture!)

2 observations:

1. Doesn't seem right to me that a premium price (£800+) Philips tv would appear to have a typical economic life of only about 2-4 years.

2. Going by my experience, plus reading a bunch of threads on this forum, there would appear to be some major concers about Philips' quality control, and their willingness to even acknowledge it. [Engineer who called said we've had "a lot of problems" on the same/similar model to mine - all needing a new tube inside of about 1-2 years from new.

Pity all of us who've spent good money on PhilipsTVs (and been short changed) can't band together and give them the damned good spanking they deserve.

As for any others reading this post, I suggest you take a long hard look at Philips' TV RELIABILITY *before* commiting to any purchase, and in particular check-out what support (if any!) you might get if the TV needs serious attention just out of the 12-month warranty period. So far, I'm singularly unimpressed.

Despite it all, though - Happy viewing!!

Mark Pearce (N.E. Hampshire U.K.)

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    These Philips tubes were used in several other manufacturers sets, not just Philips. The other manufacturers do seem to be more helpful with failures after 1-2 years than Philips. Hopefully they will reap the rewards of this customer unfriendly policy in the next few years as they lose sales.