1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips PF9986 ease of getting HD pictures

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by andrewf, Sep 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Always loved the look of the Phillips but was always out of budget. Since the new model's arrival I have seen the price now much lower and within reach.

In short given the absence of component and HDMI, has the DVI been easy to use to get HD (and PC)?

I have been leaning towards the Panny 500, Hitachi 7200 and the Loewe Concept so it would be of great help to know before making the choice.

Cheers

PS I have seen the various threads about the Phillips, but they contain reams of info and with my PC it takes several minutes to load each page (its still running on windows 95! ha ha)

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This TV supports HDMI via the DVI connector. You need an adapter cable.
    It also supports HD over Component or RGB, which you need to connect to the DVI connector via the supplied adapter. For this it requires firmware 2.0 or higher. When someone tries to sell you firmware 1.3 now, it must be old stock or demo.

Be aware that 720p is not scaled up to the full screen, so you get a 2cm border all around the picture. But you also don't get no loss of quality due to scaling. 1080i is scaled down to the full screen size (1366x768).

3. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks for the reply. currently trawling through the '9986 appreciation' thread at the moment. Seems promising.