1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips PF9946

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alsy, Jan 1, 2005.

1. alsy

alsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered my LG RZ42PX11 for £1499.00, but i've just found out from a mate that he just got unbadged Phillips PF9946 42" Plasma with the wall mount & the normal 1 year warranty for £1380. I've still got time to cancel my LG as i've had no confirmation yet, but apart from the price difference i can't find any info on the Phillips on the forum. Can any one help!!!!!!!!!!!

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. alsy

alsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry
    I meant info (spec, performance, quality etc etc) on the Phillips compared to the Lg, from impartial folk in the know.

4. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one for 4 weeks and returned it due to poor picture quality and bad service - took my money elsewhere....

5. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alsy,

If you want unbiased info on the Philips, you've come to the wrong place. However there are a few heretics (me included) that guess what?.... love the Philips. I have the PF9966 model and it is fantastic. Nope, I'm not just saying that because I've got one, but because I also own a Panny and the Philips is better.
    My sister came over yesterday and her draw dropped when she saw the PQ and that has been the response from all my family members and freinds. As far a reliability goes, no problems whatsoever.

6. sparrer

sparrer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the 42PF9946 for over a month and no problems at all.
    NZ$3,000 less than the Philips pixel plus model, and no PIP, but who cares.
    PQ is great, Dolby Virtual sound fantastic
    Wall mounted and had it up and running in 4 hours

7. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sparrer - Can I ask how you connected your PF9946 to your dvd player. I have a progressive scan dvd and understand the philips can accept this but there are no component inputs on the philips?

The manual recommends connecting dvd via s-video but I don't think this is best.

TIA

8. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the 9946 is a really good tv for the money, only problem ive found with it is a bit of lipsync, as far as i hear though, most plasma's get some lipsync issues :)

9. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on picture quality, i much prefer the Philips. The Philips has a similar picture to the Panasonic Viera, and I find it better in colours and slightly better in fine detail. The LG can't compete with either of these.

dont worry about connections - a quality scart switcher for £50 will solve your problems. I have to say though, and the purists will laugh, DVD through S-Video is still pretty darn good.

at under £1400 it is a bargain.

10. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree mate, I went to the shop yesterday and compared all those tv's and YES for sure the philips has a much better quality picture than both the panasonic and the LG and loads of the other makes too, also bare in mind that you can now get the philips for about £1400 - £1500, best bargain out there, nothing is as good in this class.

11. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you feed a progreesive scan signal to this model? I understand it doesn't have component inputs but can handle the signal. Has anyone managed to doe this?

12. superk

superk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    where did ur mate buy it for £1380?cheers

13. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have 42PF9966 and I just love the set. No lip sync problems and the PQ@1080i is just something amazing. I don't understand why people would want to get 9946 since there's a much better model available.

14. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also the 9966. Amazing PQ.

This device has several digital programs: PP2, Movie and Progressive.
    It can use the incoming signal RGB, or other and make it progressive internally. Works good.

Greets
    Lem

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need to decide the difference between honestly intended advice and bias. The retailers who contribute to this forum are all independents, we could sell anything we like. We don't like Philips because they do not match the performance of other sets, simple as that. What they are of course is plug and play. If you see your plasma set up in a department store or electrical chain there is an even chance of any plasma looking the best, especially if it's tolerant of poor signals. But after frequenting the forum for a bit, none of your sources will be poor, will they. They will be the best you can afford, so will your cables, and all will be conected in the optimum manner. That alters the case considerably.

16. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tbh, I do not own this plasma - a friend does and he was wanting to use his progressive scan dvd player. I was under the impression that prog scan could only be done over component cable. We will connect it using RGB scart - thanks Lemke (assuming PF9946 and PF9966 have same imputs.

Will try and give an honest comment once it's set up, been twiddled with and used for a while.

17. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart with RGB, fantastic PQ. Not even sure if Component is better.
    And the 9946/12 should have the progressive scan option. It's mentioned on the site. So no problem here, as far as I can see.

Lem

18. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and choose Extern 1 SCART. It has CVBS in/out (not good) and RGB. I suppose your DVD player also has RGB on its SCART.

Lem

19. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in, I've just bought a 37PF9975 after much deliberation. I viewed this & the 37" Viera side by side before I made my decision. I chose the Philips because the picture is more dense and detailed, and moving images move more smoothly. Overall i'm happy with it, BUT (!!) I'm not impressed with dark images. My CRT tv could produce proper blacks but the plasma seems only to be able to display dark grey, which isn't great when watching movies in a dark room. Is this a 'feature' of plasma's, a fault, or something that can be adjusted? I've tried adjusting brightness & contrast but I can't seem to get the dark images any darker! I've also had a look in the service menus but can't find anything in there either... Can anyone help?!

20. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 37PF9975 is not the smaller equivalent of the 42PF9946...

the 42PF9946 produces solid blacks and its detail in dark scenes is above average but not the best. choosing a plasma TV is all about compromise and preferences and budgeting, but it would be very difficult to argue that the Philips isn't superb value for a fully featured TV..

The 42PF9946 is a progressive panel, in that it is not an ALiS screen, as other models, including Philips' are. The only way it could receive a progressive input is through VGA. But RGB Scart produces a superb picture, and I wouldn't miss the lack of component inputs just for DVD.

21. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the reason for the difference in black level between the 42PF9946 & 37PF9975? Do I have a faulty tv? The 37" is a newer model & has a higher price than the 42" so I'm confused as to why the black level would be worse on the 37".

22. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the two models use two completely different plasma panels: yours is an ALiS (interlaced) screen, I think a Hitachi/Fujitsu one (a lot more knowledgable folk on here might know better), the PF9946 is based on an old Samsung panel, which is a standard definition progressive panel.

that ALiS screen has greys rather than blacks, and poor contrast. if its not to your liking, the PF9946 very much will be. blacks look...black. i prefer the picture on the 9946's all round to any other Philips tv's - the ALiS based models lose all definition and detail close-up, they really do require a healthy viewing distance.

the higher price is probably accounted for by the panel price, and the inclusion of Pixel Plus processing, and the external media box (if it has one?).

price and reputation can never beat using your own eyes i'm afraid...perhaps an exchange for a 42PF9946 might suit? :)

23. Barbarian

Barbarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few weeks ago I bought the 37PF9946 from John Lewis for £1399. OK, so at the time it was £100 more than Richer Sounds, but it's well worth it for the 5 year warranty and the wall bracket (which for some reason RS claim doesn't come in their boxes, yet is available seperately. They then go on to moan that it's rubbish and your plasma would fall off the wall. I'm sure Philips would disagree with that).

Anyhow, after initial concerns about solarisation of skin tones (I spent ages looking in the likes of Currys and Dixons only to find that even the most expensive of units suffered to some degree) I turned off all the picture tweaking functions plus, with the biggest improvements, cranked down the sharpness settings. Sure, they still occur, but for the money I'm very pleased with the results and when fed with a half decent Freeview signal and DVD it can give some cracking results.

Still, I'll agree that there are better sets out there, but you'll pay oodles more, so don't let the Philips bashers have it all their own way!

24. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Detail close up and definition, I don't agree.
    But with the viewing distance for the ALIS ... Yes. Minimum 2,5m . But still, the detail is superb, and you can even see the hairs splitting.

Still, I can do progressive, internally, for all external signals. But RGB is the best of course. And you can see the difference. Much more stable.

Lem

25. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a setting for Luminance delay in the service menus on Philips plasmas. This adjusts the the sound to the image.... enter the service menu by keying 062596 i+ into your remote & navigate to the allignments menu.

26. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to love RS as a shop 10 years ago. Bought all my hi-fi there. Now I really don't trust anything their salesmen say. I also take the RRP printed in their brochures with a pinch of salt. I think if you purchase from there you really have to know exactly what you are going to buy before you walk in.

On a plus point I bought some liberty 5's in a sale from RS and the grills were missing (which I knew). I phoned their wharehouse and spoke to a very helpful chap who took my details and said if he saw any from other damaged stock he would send them to me. Low and behold 2 weeks later they turned up FREE. Now that IS pretty good.

My friend is waiting on an email from Philips regarding Prog scan. I have just told him to get 2 scarts and be done with it. Does anyone have any settings the recommend for a good PQ? - a reference point perhaps, so we can start tweaking.

27. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers for that allee m8 :)
    Iam in the engineers menu, I see six main options >
    CLEAR
    OPTIONS
    TUNER
    WHITE TONE
    AUDIO
    NVM EDITOR
    I would imagine the I should go into "audio", correct ??
    So in audio I have five options >
    QSS @ ON
    FMI @ OFF
    NICAM ALIGNMENT @ 77
    LIP SYNC @ OFF
    DBE @ OFF
    I can change all these settings if I want to but ive been carefull to turn them back to what they were set to originally, I CANT seem to change nicam alignment, ive tried pressing several buttons etc but it wont change, as a matter of fact when I try and change the nicam alignment it switches the tv off sometimes ??

Anyway, allee, can you please advise on what settings to change to udjust the lip sync level and how to change the nicam alignment if I have to, also please tell me what all the other options are for please, or maybe you could email me a manual or something ???
    Please advise a.s.a.p.
    Thanks mate :)
    p.s
    I tried the lip sync option on and off, didnt seem to make any difference.

28. Barbarian

Barbarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether this is the answer you're after, but I also e-mail Philips regarding the Progressive Scan (i.e it was mentioned on the box but there were no component inputs - so how do you connect it up?) Anyway, this is the answer I got:-

With regard to your query we can advise that Progressive Scan as it is referred to in the specifications of this model does not refer to an input signal. On the 37PF9946 an interlaced signal that is input from an external source is converted to a progressive scan signal within the TV set which reduces the flicker.

This is different from a set that will accept a signal which has already been converted to progressive scan by the video source prior to reaching the TV set.

BTW, Does any other Philips plasma owner think the manual is one of the worst ever written? It doesn't tell you anything!! (and in about 10 languages too!)

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Clearly it doesn't tell you what 'lumiance delay' (note spelling) is for. It's for syncronising the video signals if they are off, this results in generally poor picture, most particularly edge artefacts I believe, though I'm out of my depth there. Gordon is more the man to speak with authority.

30. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alle,

That was an interesting post. Do you know whether this service menu is available on all Phillips? I have the 42pf9966 model but the key strokes you mentioned don't work for me. BTW how do you manage to key an i and + as in your suggestion?