Phillips PF429965 or Phillips PF429945 ???

S

sirees01

A friend of mine has a budget of £3k and wants the best kit that money can buy including glass stand/tuner box/plasma/speakers etc.... the full monty.

He has his eye on the 42PF9965 with free DVD recorder as well as all of the above for £3k.

My question is while making some enquiries for him I have come across the 42PF9945 whats the fifference between the two ????

Well, doing a quick search the 42PF9965 has Pixel Plus, the 42PF9945 does not.

hope that clouds it a bit further - lol

The 42PF9945 is a generation older than the 65. The 45 was replaced by both a 55 (non-pixelplus) and a 65 (pixelplus), of the three the 65 (pixelplus) is definitely the better!

I'd get neither! I have the 45 and it suffers quite bad on skin tones...and the 65 is no better...apparently.

sirees01 said:
A friend of mine has a budget of £3k and wants the best kit that money can buy including glass stand/tuner box/plasma/speakers etc.... the full monty.

He has his eye on the 42PF9965 with free DVD recorder as well as all of the above for £3k.

My question is while making some enquiries for him I have come across the 42PF9945 whats the fifference between the two ????
got rid of mine (9945) after a week the quality was a disgrace imho :mad:

Liam @ Prog AV said:
The 42PF9945 is a generation older than the 65. The 45 was replaced by both a 55 (non-pixelplus) and a 65 (pixelplus), of the three the 65 (pixelplus) is definitely the better!

I don`t know how you can say that the 9945 is older than the 9955!! If you look at the Philips website you can actually read that 9955 is 9945's predecessor. Are you dealers mislead?

Look at the bottom of this leaflet.

Philips 42 inch 9945

The 9945 was introduced early in 2004 and has the latest economy plasma panel from Philips. Though it is not very good...banding is a major issue :thumbsdow

What Phillips sight are you talking about. All I can see on their sight is CRT displays.
:smashin:

The 9965 is fine - no banding at all - Pixel Plus looks great on Sky, and Prog Scan mode is superb with DVD material. Fiddly to set up though - has so many picture adjustments that I spent ages (weeks) playing around with it, experimenting with different settings etc. I prefer Philips to Panasonic models, as its a high res panel - I sit quite close, and find that the line structure is too obvious on the lower res Panny PW6. Also, I detect screen flicker on the Panny - probably because I was used to a 100hz CRT TV before.

HeweyBoy101 said:
The 9965 is fine - no banding at all - Pixel Plus looks great on Sky, and Prog Scan mode is superb with DVD material. Fiddly to set up though - has so many picture adjustments that I spent ages (weeks) playing around with it, experimenting with different settings etc. I prefer Philips to Panasonic models, as its a high res panel - I sit quite close, and find that the line structure is too obvious on the lower res Panny PW6. Also, I detect screen flicker on the Panny - probably because I was used to a 100hz CRT TV before.
HeweyBoy101, could you provide your current display settings in order for me to test ?

Hi guys,

It seems I've come into this thread a little on the late side.
I am from Australia, and have just recently purchased the 42PF9945/69 which is the version we get here in Oz. It has a built in tuner and progressive scan inputs. After reading all the post in this forum related to the 42PF9945 model I am shocked. I probably wouldn't have purchased it if I had have read these posts earlier.

I am reasonably happy with the PQ, but not totally satisifed. The main problem I have is with black areas in DVD's. Using progressive scan, I still don't like the way it handles dark scenes. Too many little white specs, and if I turn the brightness down to remove them the dark areas just come up as blobs of black matter on the screen.

Wating for a technician to come and have a look covered by Philips warranty. See what he says.....if he can't improve it then its going back to the shop!

Oh and I forgot....can anyone who might still own a 42PF9945 post their settings so I can see if that the problem....

Thanks

I had two seperate 65's for two weeks and got rid. I thought the picture and sound quality were poor and the overprocessing of images made watching fast action and sports unbearable. I followed all the set-up hints that I could find on this site to no avail. I had it set up to a dmr e55 and a nokia set-top box with high quality cables.
get a panny or pioneer instead

I haven't seen a good looking panasonic or pioneer screen yet. My Philips 42" flat tv cost me $5,000 AUD and I had a look at a $12,000 AUD Pioneer, and it looked worse than the philips when we played DVD through it. HDTV looked nice on the Pioneer, but I would be watching more DVD's than watching HDTV so Its of no use to me...... I feel sorry for those who have paid such money for the Pioneer!

With much trepidation I brought a 42PF9945 home today and am very happy with what I see for the money. :clap:

I see no banding...

Dave

1st thing I did was turn the contrast down from 91 (eek!) to 50 Iive put colour and brightness to the same while I let it settle in and then I'll try and set it up properly, but it's not bad as it is.

Hi guys,

I'm from Italy. I just bought the 42PF9945/12 in italy (for 2890 euro's). They will deliver the TV to my home next saturday.

I know that the TV includes a lot of special features from Philips for managing pictures, such as:

1. Digital Natural Motion
2. Dynamic Contrast
3. DNR
4. Colour Enhancement
5. Active Control

It misses just the PixelPlus technology.

I would be less critical about this product. Or, at least, I would give together with the judge about the product also the set of settings that are in place. I know that if you do not accomplish a correct tuning of the system (and they are a lot!) you could get a bad picture also from the best plasma TV.

I have seen that some of us owns the 42PF9945. My proposal is to post all setting of the TV, together with our considerations and judge about the quality of the picture (depending from the source: TV channel, sat, DVD, ecc...). Only in this way we could compare our judges with the realsetting of the equipment.

I will post my setting and mi opinion next week, as soon as the TV will be installed and switched on.

Bye
Xfire.

Before I purchased, I had dealers set up Panasonics beside Philips 9965 and the Philips had much better definition on foreground and background objects.

I'm delighted with mine. No doubt about it, Philips outshines Panny despite the ramping of Panasonic by a few "posters" to this forum

I see absurdity in that .pdf! On one line it says VGA 852x480, next line it says HD Alis? Perhaps it's philips themselves who are confused about this model?

Don't go there....I have owned both the 42pf9945 and the 42pf9946, and now own a panasonic viera...and there's no way in hell you could get me to go back to the philips! Absolute rubbish IMHO!

The display wouldn't know the color of black if it was painted in it....and as for banding and patchy faces/skin tone artifacts.....its the pits!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Steffche,

just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing...

which are the settings that you used with the 42PF9945?

I mean, a BIG RACCOMENDATION is to DISABLE all features that use alghoritms to modify the image (such as Digital natural Motion, Active Control, ...) and to ENABLE them ONLY if there is a specific need. In other words, if you ENABLE ALL the feature to "improve" the image YOU ARE A GREAT PROBABILITY to GET the WORST IMAGE!!

This is the same as if you use in a "uncontrolled" way a music equalizer: YOU COULD DESTROY YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC!

Final cut: "START FROM THE VERY BARE IMAGE AND ADD ONLY THE EFFECTS AND IMPROVEMENTS ONLY ON "AS NEEDED" BASIS!!"

I think that if people follow this rule QUITE ALL PLASMA TV WILL LOOK THE SAME!!!!

Finally, I agree with you ONLY for the Black management, that maybe in PANASONIC PLASMAs is managed in a better way than others...

Bye
XFIRE

HeweyBoy101 said:
Heweyboy,how are you getting your 9965 to run in progressive scan mode,are you using some sort of dvd to vga converter as as far as i`m aware thats the only port that takes a progresive signal?

Agree completely xFire. I have a 42pf9966 and don't even use PP2
Even with analog feeds, this plasma has excellent PQ.

Contract, black level, colors, I can only say one thing: excellent, even with only half of the max. settings.

When I bought the Plasma, I compared with the panny. So sorry for the many believers here in this forum, but the Philips was better (and more expensive :( ).

One remark: Don't sit to close, minimum 3,5 4m

Greetz

lemke said:
Agree completely xFire. I have a 42pf9966 and don't even use PP2
Even with analog feeds, this plasma has excellent PQ.

Contract, black level, colors, I can only say one thing: excellent, even with only half of the max. settings.

When I bought the Plasma, I compared with the panny. So sorry for the many believers here in this forum, but the Philips was better (and more expensive :( ).

One remark: Don't sit to close, minimum 3,5 4m

Greetz

I also have the 42PF9966 and I'm also very happy with what I got. At last footy fooks like it should (no pixel net around moving objects). DVDs at 1080i by Denon 1910 look fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom