1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips New DVD+R/RW Range

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelm, Jul 5, 2003.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Still no DD5.1 input, I see. This is a complete kick in the nuts to everyone that wants this function included as standard, myself included.

I'll be keeping my money in my pocket for the forseeable future then.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    There is alot of studio induced pressure on companies like Panasonic and Philips to NOT put digital audio in on there recorders. The rise of 5:1 etc systems accounts for a significant proportion of DVD-Video sales which, to some extent, will be harmed if people can record movies in 5:1 off Sky.

I take your point though - it would be nice and we will see it eventually.

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I see your point, but the (not as vast as the companies would have us think) majority of dvd player owners have little or no interest in 5.1 sound. They just see dvd as a convenient way of watching a movie etc.

However, although a dvd recorder caters for all their needs, the very vast majority of these owners will not spend their cash on a dvd recorder when they have a perfectly good vcr sitting under their tv's.

I don't believe that the sale of 5.1 systems has any bearing on dvd recorder spec, but I do believe piracy-paranoia does. But that is what CSS and Macrovision copy protection were put in place for. If the DVD Consortium got it wrong with these two systems, then that should be their problem and not ours.

As I stated before in an earlier thread, there would be nothing to prevent me recording from Sky to my pc, along with a DD5.1 soundtrack via my SPDIF input, and burning this to disc on my DVD-RW. A bit drastic, but it can still be done. And it is becoming all the easier thanks to the advances being made in multimedia pc design.

It's about time the manufacturers wised up to want their real prospective customers want.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Do not forget licensing! Dolby labs ask for more money where 5.1 encoding is concerned.

In a competitive market place where the Philips machines are being targeted, the majority of potential buyers have little idea what NICAM or Hi-Fi stereo is let alone 5.1. It would be an additional cost to include 5.1 with few people understanding or using the feature.

Regards

Philip

5. xenon

xenon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Another model is out in a few months- the Philips DVDR90, this has DD5.1 input.