1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phillips matchline 32 in widescreen £260 good price?? s/h

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wassap, Jul 5, 2002.

1. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just seen a ex rental, phiiliips matchline 32 inch widescreen, with 12 months warranty, for £260, it is around 4 yrs old, is this a good set and a good price, cos im looking at paying £400 for a new 28inch wide screen (prolly a jvc) if the phillips is good i may just buy that, what do ya reckon, screen is flat, and its dolby prologic (i have a marantz 5200 any way) and comes with thte stand. i just need to now whether mid-high set from a few yrs ago will be as good a budget set today? did look in reasonable nick, remote was a bit grotty, but i gotta a pronto anyway, im sure its gonna be better than a 32inch beko, which is £400 new anyway, although its exrental, it still has 1 yr warranty so, i may just go for it.

worth it??

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that CRTs have a limited life and that life is measured in hours of actual use. For example, if it was watched for 10 hours a day over 4 years, that's far more of its lifespan used up than if it were watched for only 2 hours a day over 4 years. Personally, I wouldn't buy a second hand TV unless I only expected it to last a year. But you could get lucky.

If you are interested, check things like how many scarts it has, whether any of these are RGB-capable, and whether the TV is NTSC compatible. The older a TV is, the more likely it is that it won't support one or more of these features.

3. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the reply m8, i have done a bit of research, looks like the tv was quite good 4 yrs ago, it has 3 scarts, svideo conns, its the matchline 100hz model, ntsc etc and was close to £2000 in 1998, would this be still worth reasonable money today, basically i want a reasonable tv for 12-18mnts, i want a rear proj after that.

I just dont know if 4yr old mid-high range model will be better than this years base model, just wanna get as much as i can for my wonga!!!

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main issue will be the 100Hz and the related features. It might not compare to many of today's models.

I think the Matchlines got good reviews when they came out though. Try checking the TV reviews on www.whatvideotv.com and www.homecinemachoice.com if you haven't already.

5. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the reply m8, had a look at the set, athough it is 4 and half yrs old, alot of the features as still pretty good on it, picture in picture, picture quality was quite good, they had a another phillips in the store, which was a new model, around the £800 mark, and i prefered the older phillips, the only thing holding me back is the age of the set?? cos the price is still good, i couldnt even get a whafdale,beko or bush for that money??

decisions decisions!!

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Look at it another way. Even if you kept the tv for one year (for which the g'tee covers) and then threw it in the bin, it would have only cost you £21.66 a month. I doubt you could rent it for that.

I say go for it.