Phillips Hue simple usage question I think?

dansan

Hi all, quick simple question or I hope so for those that maybe know more about hue bulbs than me!

I have 16 GU10 downlights in one room, all on one switch, if I was to replace these with the current Hue GU10 white and colour bulbs with a bridge would I be able to individually control them, so have a few groups of four that could be on while the rest remain off as an example?

Unless anyone has any other GU10 smart bulb recommendations that will let me do the same if its possible, I have a Vera & echo's too so integration with those would be a welcome bonus.

TIA

Inked

Distinguished Member
Hi all, quick simple question or I hope so for those that maybe know more about hue bulbs than me!

I have 16 GU10 downlights in one room, all on one switch, if I was to replace these with the current Hue GU10 white and colour bulbs with a bridge would I be able to individually control them, so have a few groups of four that could be on while the rest remain off as an example?

Unless anyone has any other GU10 smart bulb recommendations that will let me do the same if its possible, I have a Vera & echo's too so integration with those would be a welcome bonus.

TIA
Yes, you’d be able to individually control them, control them as a whole room and create groups of lights (zones) within the Hue app.

Not sure how it works with @Seb Briggs suggestion of Shelly bulbs.

Last edited:

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
The Shelly app allows grouping of bulbs and/or individual control

Just for clarity the link is for Shelly gu10 bulbs either just white or rgbw

Attachments

• 1518CFD3-62C3-4D70-BA92-5CF904DDF3C7.png
    1518CFD3-62C3-4D70-BA92-5CF904DDF3C7.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 20

dansan

Yes you would be able to group or individually control the bulbs

Have a look at Shelly as well as a lot lower price and no need for a bridge

Works with Vera and Alexa
Thanks Seb & Inked,

That's some difference in cost for 16! do you have any personal experience with the Shelly ones?

Mind at that price its cheap enough to buy one to try out first I guess!

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Lots of experience with Shelly . I install them professionally

A little less with their bulbs as don’t like the smart function built into the bulb

Good app , good support from Shelly

dansan

Update:
I ordered a one each of GU10's, decided to go for 16 of the Duo W/W C/W, have them all installed and linked up on the shelly app and Alexa, so far have been totally stable connections wise and its achieved exactly what I wanted in being able to have small groups of them on rather than the whole 16 only so 👍

Only thing I'm struggling with now is getting them/the groups on my Vera, wanting this as I intend to use home remote with a wall mounted tablet in the room for those that prefer a 'button' over voice control through Alexa. Anyone have a good guide or some simple instructions I could follow?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom