1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips hdrw720 with Nokia Freeview and GuidePlus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dumpster, May 25, 2005.

1. Dumpster

Dumpster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Couldn't find this on the forum, so thought I should ask directly. I just bought a Phillips HDRW720 which seems to be very nice, and is doing what I want. However, I have Freeview on an "On Digital" Mediamaster Nokia 9850T set top box. I find I have been unable to get the Phillips GuidePlus system to recognise this box, through RF or EXT2 sockets.

When I try to set up the box, the G-Link cable tries to change the chanel on the freeview, then asks me "did the channel change on the freeview box". If I tell the Phillips that I have a Nokia Freeview box, this process does not work. However, if I tell it I have a nokia Sattelite box, this does work, but my Guideplus then displays hundreds of channels that I do not have. This proves there is not a technicla fault with the G-Link, so therefore does it mean that the Freeview box is just not compatible with the Phillips and GuidePlus?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me puzzle this out.

Thanks for reading!

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you checked the Guideplus website to confirm the compatibility with your box?
    The Guideplus system set's the channels based on the service provided, not the maker of the box.
    So if you have setup a satellite box, it will show listings for the satellite channel.
    Hope it makes sense. :boring:

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guide supports 100's of tuners, yours will be in there somewhere:

1/ When the 720 prompt ""did the channel change on the freeview box?" - If it doesn't - Say "NO" - it will then try a different combination

2/ If you exhaust all freeview combinations and it still won't work - Select "other service" (not freeview) - this will give you access to 100's of digiboxes to play with

3/ Quite often you'll find different Brands use the same I/R codes (try others than Nokia)

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fergot

4/ If you have only just got the machine - addtional digiboxes are added to the list after the first update (have another look in a couple days)

5. Dumpster

Dumpster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The weirdest thing - if I tell the Phillips box that I have a Nokia Satellite receiver, the Phillips controls the Nokia box fine. Obviously, all the information on the channels is all wrong, but the phillips transmits code 1516 which seems to control the freeview box perfectly. When I select Nokia Freeview box, the codes sent do not include 1516 which appears to be the code I need. it's really annoying because it shows that the Phillips CAN control the freeview box, it just doesn't want to.

Thanks for the replies above, hopefully, after a couple of days of guideplus updates, maybe it will recognize the nokia after all.

(Jethro - The Phillips does not seem to give the opportunity for "Other" - If I select Terestrial decoder, then the Freeview option is the only one available!)

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'other service' maybe in the cable services - but it sounds like you found one that works - it's a pain renumbering the channels, but once you start getting the guide updates you'll also get some more digiboxes to choose from, so try look again in a few days

7. Dumpster

Dumpster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jethro! You are an absolute star.

Didn't realise you could do that, I have just set the box up as a Satellite receiver, then gone into guideplus and removed all the channels I don't have, then changed the programme numbers for the ones I do have, and it all seems to be working perfectly.

THANK YOU!!!!!