Phillips DVDR75

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Techno Freak, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Richer sounds have these units for £219 - multi-region.

I was not in the market for a recorder just yet but the cheapest outside of Richer Sounds is £399.

I can't resist at this price.

I only want it to archive stuff from Sky +

Before I buy one I wondered if anyone has got one of these or has experience of one?

Any coments on it would be appreciated.

Is it better to go with this or a DVD-RAM machine? ( time-slip is not an issue ).

Thanks.

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look through a few pages of threads and see what the Philips versus DVD- problem ratio is.
    If you want to do editing of any kind a HDD machine is best,but they are around £500,but do allow flexibility of editing that easily matches any PC .If its movies only from Sky+ any recorder will do the job

3. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not bothered about any editing - I just want a vcr replacement.

I am worried that the 20 hours sky+ will fill up too quickly so I thought a cheap DVDR75 would do the job of freeing up sky+space a treat.

Also, it has the i-link which would be ideal for archiving camcorder footage - again, I am not bothered about editing but I would require compatability with plenty of other dvd players for handing out copies of said camcorder footage.

I am a little worried about the amountof bugs I have seen mentioned on the forum regarding the phillips machines, but thats what warranties are for.

I think I will go for it as it is so cheap and seems as though it will fit the bill exactly for my needs.

4. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips machine will be an excellent choice for archiving from Sky+. I have the DVDR70 for exactly that purpose and it is fantastic.

5. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, bought a DVDR75 this morning - wicked.

I am well pleased with it.

It is very simple to use, the quality of recordings are excellent.

I recorded a few things of Sky onto a DVD+RW then popped the disc in my other players - all worked great. I like the simple menu it produces on the disc for selecting recordings.

I am very happy with my choice, the qaulity is supberb and has all the functions I need. Just have to wait and if any problems arrise with the machine itself over time.

PC world have a great sale on at the moment. I bought a spindle pack of 25 DVD+RW's for £29.99 !!!!

I will keep this thread posted with any problems I encounter on the machine.

Does anyone know if you can copy a recorded clip from the DVD direct onto your pc hard drive?

Thanks.

6. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVR 75 isn't strictly multi region as I thought that too, it is region 2 or "all" region compatible. I use DVD+RW to master in anything from 1 hr to 6 hr, edit the chapter markers to eliminate ads, make the disc "compatible" and play that from my DVD player and record onto DVD +R. The thing I found the other day was I put a RW in to record Red Planet and when the film had finished, I pressed stop and the machine locked up. I had to unplug it to reset it so I lost the file. That is the only problem I have had in 3 weeks. If it does it again it's going back but I have used VHS SP to VHS LP editing (up to 5 films on a 4hr tape) but was always dissappointed with the quality. Not any more. If a film last 2 hours I can record in M2 mode, if it lasts 2.5 hrs I can record in M2x (or 2.5 hrs) mode so I get the best possible quality on the master. I like the operation a lot and when you burn a DVD+R and finalise it, you even get the Philips menu to choose titles from. get one, you know you want to.