1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips DVDR70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tazzy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. tazzy

tazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone this is my first message having just joined the forum.

I have read alot of bad comments about the Phillips DVDR 70 on the forum and wanted to post a message saying they are not all bad.

I was stupid enough to pay £400 when they came out, a bit sad since amazon do them now for £159. Since I bought it I have never had a problem with it at all ,best picture and sound through a 36 inch telly and surround speakers. The best part is the machine plays anything I put in it whether cheap DVD-r or anything else and the +r recordings play in any other machine I,ve tried even if they dont support the playing of recordable discs.

In the end they are not all bad. :) :thumbsup:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    ...only a matter of time before we see the words 'Disc Error' appear in a thread by the same author ;)

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just for note, i've deleted my post, wich said "Here we go again", wich was used by Rasczak to reply.

4. tazzy

tazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Since I,ve had the machine since the week they came out in the shops and it has alot of use and,I think I can say I,ve had good use so I would,nt say its the horror machine your all so scared of.
    The problem is people who are happy rarely make comment and those who are are unhappy scream from the roof tops which can give a bad image.
    I,m sticking with mine as it must be the rare working model. :clap:

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Always amusing to see Philips users try and justify their machines reputations: why then do you think Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba machines have a good reputation? Because people DO make comments! The average forum member here generally joins the forum, seeks advice on which DVD recorder to buy, actually buys one and then gives their feedback (good or bad). That's how DVD recorders get their reputation here...

TBH the reliability issues are just something that puts a few people off. For most of us it's the lack of features that means Philips DVD recorders are :nono:

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Lack of features? (he he he)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    :D

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Its a dvd recorder, it has an inbuilt tuner, it records, it plays (any region), what other features are needed?
    no one in their right mind would edit on a standalone, thats what your PC is for.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    ...longer recording times at full resolution...some form of time based corrector...flexible record...to name but a few things before we even get near the subject of features that are standard with Digital recordings (i.e. Video Recording Mode)!

10. tazzy

tazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some of us just wanted a replacement for the old VHS recorder and it does the job well.
    Exactly how many editions of coronation street does your wife want on one disc and does she need to watch Les Battersby in the purist form of picture quality. :hiya:

11. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a Philips DVDR70 and DVDR75 and on friday I switched camps and bought a Pioneer DVR420H. I haven't had any problems with the Philips recorders but they were straight swopped over a year ago at Richer Sounds for the old 880 and 890 because of problems.

The Pioneer is a wonderful machine but the recording quality is nowhere near as good as the Philips. I use a 6hr record for most things on the Philips but it needs to be on a 4hr record on the Pioneer. I recorded football on the 3hr setting on the Philips but the Pioneer needs to be on 2hrs. All in all I can live with that minor niggle. I'm just recording the 2nd series of Little Britain on BBC3. I'll take the adverts out and burn them to a disk - excellent.

12. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think I must be crazy then ... I don't even have a PC and indeed I do all my editings on my standalone recorder (pioneer DVR-5100). :nono:

I wonder why it is ? Is it just because it allows me to do that ? And very well, should I say ?

Shame on you pioneer for allowing us to edit on standalone recorders and turn us all into some kind of freaks.

13. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree - shame on Pioneer for doing this. I'd love to go back to editing on a PC - NOT.

14. tazzy

tazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At the end of the day some of us have different needs and editing is not one of mine so the 70 does me fine.
    I understand complaints about reliability but never had an issue with it myself.
    BUT Dont moan about it if it doesnt do what you want because thats why we have different models to choose from and different manufacturers, some of us are well pleased.

15. Batty66680

Batty66680
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    My first post, can anyone help please, i have a 5 year old Phillips dvdr70, i have recently encountered the problem of 'NO DISC' only when trying to play new, store bought dvd films or box sets, upto now i find the machine to be very good, no problems........any idea anyone?

Many thanx
    Bats:lease: