1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips DVDR70 or Panasonic DMRE60EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by disco dude, Oct 1, 2003.

1. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    Need a bit of advice the phillips DVRD70 dvd recorder or Panasonic DMRE60EBS dvd recorder????

Basically i need a dvd recorder to record from vhs (family videos over a ten year period) and then play in other makes of dvd machines that the family own eg pacific, phillips etc etc.
    Also would like to play copy discs etc.
    1. What is the + & - mean on these machines ? I think + on the phillips and - on the panasonic. Or do they both record in both? or is one more common than the other?
    2. Which machine would be the best option for my needs?

Any help would be appreciated as i have decided that it would be between these 2.

2. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either would suit your needs. Both of the recorders can record on to write once media which will be compatible with other players.

The panasonic uses DVD-RAM for its rewriteable media. This is a powerful format, but not compatible with the vast majority of player out there.

The philips uses DVD+RW for its rewriteable media. I've found this is compatible with most players, but certainly not all.

3. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best price on the pana so far i found is £349 inc free next day delivery and £279 on the phillips.
    So i can use dvd- and dvd+ in both machines for once recording?
    But only dvdrw in phillips as pana use their specially desighned discs for re-recording.
    Also just found the panasonic Dmre50 for £237 inc free delivery.
    What is this machine like compared to the phillips?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips can write to DVD+R and DVD+RW. Panasonic can write to DVD-R and DVD-RAM.

Personally I like to use my DVD recorder like a VCR. I like to record shows, watch them, record over shows I no longer want, lend the occasional recording to friends or family. Philips DVD+RW is great for this, because the recording I write most likely be compatible with other peoples players.

5. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that sub,
    I guess that the phillips is more versitile and compatable with other machines then as this is my main aim. Not for anything fancy just recording from vhs archiving videos and playing the disks on familys dvd players.
    I see though that the phillips has dropped in price considerably from £399 to £279.
    :confused: :) :confused: :) :confused:

6. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    E60 Panny over ANY philips, every time, no contest.
    i think you two guys are pulling our legs!!!!!!

7. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong - I think the Pansonic recorders are good too, but my preference is for a rewriteable format the can be used in the existing players.

8. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but,your re-writable format has a 1 in 5 chance of NOT playing in other players, and as yet no support for next gen. blu-ray.

9. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah and your re writable RAM format has absolutely no chance of playing in any but the most recent Panasonic players! Far worse than +RW.

10. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quite a few pc dvd-rom drives play ram discs, with no problems NOW, and when the cheapo firms (play everthing even a soggy beer mat lol.) clone the pannys they will too.

11. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I been using a first generation 880 player/recorder for over a year now and have found that only the oldest of DVD players (like a 4 year old sony) was fussy about the disc. I also find that even unfinalised discs will play in some players. No Digital Input but not sure if any of them have one!

The Philips system is easy to use and picture/sound quality is great. I have no problems with mine!

Hope this helps

Andy C

12. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is quite a debate there are so many good and bad points on both of these manchines its starting to do my chuffing head in.
    I have learnt today tho that panasonic are lowering the packs of their dvd ram discs to 9.99 for three discs. (not the d/sided ones)
    phillips or panny ok what is more popular and would 99.9% chance of playing in other dvd players on once only discs dvd+ or dvd-
    I did notice that when i brought a copy of only fools and horses from a boot sale it had been written on to a dvd- disc and played great in my pc and other dvd players so would dvd+ be the same result.

13. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both DVD +R and -R write once disks have about the same level of compatibility with DVD players. (Don't get confused by all the statistics that will get quoted on this forum both formats have virtual universal compatibility with all but the oldest players). Just remember that you can't edit a DVD-R disc when it is recorded in DVD Video compatible mode, you can on a DVD+R disc though.

14. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat, do I go for the Pansonic or the Philips? 2 of my friends have the Philips, and although they both like it they have both been back for repair twice. I have a Panasonic camcorder so I may decide to show some loyalty to their brand as that has been fine.

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    dude1971 If you are happy to record your tapes to the write once format type disc then please go for the Pannasonic and stay well clear of the + format which is akin to a kiddies toy compared to the RAM/-R format.

Bear in mind that the Panny machines have proper TBC circuitry so will handle any poor quality tapes you have without a hitch. The same can't be said about the + format as they do it via software. There have been constant complaints about the plus machines not liking to record from worn VCR tapes.

I have been using the RAM/-R format for more than 18 months and have made hundreds of compatible DVD-R discs......You can edit out adverts on a DVD-R disc by pressing pause...no problem.

16. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 70% of the only fools & horses complete series on dvds that i have brought from numerous boot sales and i have noticed that the discs they are on are all dvd-r and they play great in my pacific dvdr so i guess that the dvd-r is possibly more compatible,
    Are dvd-r better reproduction?
    Are dvd-r more expensive discs to buy?
    Can you edit both formats on a pc easy or just ram?

Sorry for all these questions but i am now swaying towrds the panasonic 60 dvd recorder, Is this a good idea?

Thanks for all your input so far everyone. Great board!!!

17. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

There isn't a great deal of difference between +R and DVD-R. DVD-R is said to be more compatible by some tests and the opposite on others.

DVD-R are cheaper to buy than +R, or should we say there are cheaper options you can go for on DVD-R. The competition between both mean that prices are being driven down and you can find bargains on either.

The more important point is that the Panasonic recorders are well proven and reliable. +RW/+R based set-top recorders have some ongoing "quality" problems and are best avoided at this time in my opinion.

Regards

Philip

18. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree that there is evidence of problems with the Philips DVDR880 but it's far too early to say whether there will be similar issues with the DVDR70/75/80. My DVDR70 is working faultlessly (touch wood) and I would suggest you actually go and try both the Philips and Panasonic machines out before deciding.

Use your own judgement, don't rely on any of us because none of us know what you want from your machine. Any purchase of this nature should start with you writing down what you want from a DVD Recorder. Then measure each format against your requirements and see which comes out tops there are some subtle differences which could make a real difference to your enjoyment of DVDR so you need to make sure you understand the practical differences these will have on what you can and can't do. When you've done all that then you'll have the right solution for you.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    You can edit any format on the PC. The differences are what you actually have to work with when you get there.

An example...
    You want to record three 1 hour episodes to DVDR (42 minutes programme with 18 minutes adverts). As 42 minutes x 3 episodes = 126 you record each episode on an individual RAM disk with FR set to 126 minutes. Once the recording is finished you edit out the 18 minutes of adverts using Partial Erase. You can then import the editted episodes onto your PC and author. Wasted disk space is 0 minutes and there has been no re-encoding.

Attempting the same on a Philips DVDR70 is more complex. You again record each episode on it's own disk but, as it has no flexible record, you have to record each recording in the 2hr 30 minute mode. Noteably, as this is longer recording time, the resoltion of the recorder is lower (meaning less quality). You import onto your PC. You then have to tody up the edits (as the Philips does not have the precise editting features of the Panny) meaning you now have 126 minutes of recordings on the disk with 24 minutes of wasted space on the disk. Your only option to avoid all these problems is to record each episode in the 2hr mode and re-encode on your PC - this reduces the quality.

Of course if you want to get down the 'serious' route of logo removal and picture processing you HAVE to choose DVD-RAM or DVD-RW unless you want to re-encode first which rather negates the point of trying to make a HQ archiving.