Phillips DVDR70 Glitch

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 2pods, Jul 23, 2004.

1. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the above has started to freeze and re-start the dvd we're watching.

This is after flashing the firmware.
    Before that it was freezing and the record "ring" on the front would come on , dilsplaying AE3BCE9.

A hard reset would be needed to restart.
    The funny thing is it's recording OK, it just seems to be playback.

Would it have anything to do with the receiver end of our Sony all in one being on top of it ?

What's worse is this is the replacement for the dvdr880 which was away for 3 weeks, and now Currys will no doubt want to send this away :(

Peter

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Unless the DVDR70 is getting very hot I don't think that putting the Sony equipment on top of it would cause the problem - but you could try removing it or at least inserting some spacers to improve ventillation.

However, if you have re-flashed with the latest firmware (FF16k) and Hard Reset then it looks as if it may have to go back to Philips!

3. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVR 75 and mine hangs occasionally while recording, displaying a similar if not identicall hexadecimal string. It also sometimes does funny things while I am doing a scene selection/edit. I wonder if it is getting too hot as it is in a rack with all my other kit, I thought it had something to do with the ram chips (ok, the heat may be causing that too). If the recorder locks up as it is recording it doesn't do an update of the TOC so the data is unrecognisable so the data on the disc is lost. Apart from that, I like it. Perhaps I may get a DVR/HDD machine for long recordings at high quality ready for editing (thereby using digital data transfer rather than the RGB via the scart plug from my DVD player)

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    This sounds like a disc compatibility problem. What brand & type of discs are you using? Are you using the latest firmware (FF16k)? Have you done a Hard Reset?

5. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just pressed open on the dvdr70 from "off", and it's locked solid, with the record ring on :mad:

6. iamthenewno2

iamthenewno2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    May make no difference to any problems you maybe having but I find my 75 plays up whenever the unit gets hot, and boy does it get hot.

Since I moved the unit to the top of the pile it has had no issues.
    (No2 runs away to find piece of wood to touch !)

7. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I took it into Currys today, and after a moaning match with the manger, they refunded my money as the only other dvdr70 was a return.

I did notice a lot of dvdram stuff, also saw the Sony which apparently can use +/-, but wasn't sure about RGB/S-Video.
    I'll have to look it up.

However, seeing I only got my £249 back, my budget is limited somewhat.

All I want is something reliable that can play +rw, has rgb in, a choice of Svideo and rgb out, and a coax or optical out.

I don't want much, do I ? ;)

8. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reply to JefUK. I am using a Philips DVD+RW (one of three which I purchased with the recorder) and it has locked up using those. It has also happened when recording direct to DV+R when dubbing and these are Discrite (pretty reliable as far as I know). I am not sure if I have the latest firmware but I have done one upgrade and it didn't cure the problem. I built my rack with specific spaces for my system components so I am loathed to move things around. I haven't had a problem for a fortnight but if it happene again, I will set up a cooling fan to blow air around the recorder just to see.

Thanks for the feedback.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    The Sony GX3 suits all this (and will record onto your existing DVD+RW disks). Slightly over you budget though...

If the Sony isn't good not look at the Pioneer 220.

10. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :thumbsup:
    Too late !
    I already bought the Sony :smashin:

11. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    If it only happens occasionally then it could well be heat or the discs. Some people have been known to have problems with Philips discs, and DVD+R are especially sensitive to marks/dirt until they are finalised.

The discs are sourced globally to the best (cheapest) manufacturer, many leading brands have had problems. DVD recording is still in its infancy and the disc market is still shaking out. You will find that most are now sourced from India and China, generally the most reliable are those sourced from Singapore. There is a utility to read the manufacturer of the discs, but it is little use before buying. I have now burned hundreds of discs on the PC and on my DVDR80 and have never had a problem (yet!) with Verbatim, but have had problems with other "leading" brands. Verbatim were the disc development partner for the +RW/+R discs, but they also have changed sources, I guess its all down to price competition. Don't forget that DVD's are more sensitive to dirt and fingerprints than CD's