phillips dvdr 80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by candg, Oct 4, 2003.

1. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Waiting for my Phillips DVDr 80 (replacement for DVDr 980) to come...anyone any experience of this machine ?..any info ?

Graham

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi Graham

You are better off going to somewhere like http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi.

Unfortunately as more people get these newer models, the more we hear of the same old problems.

Most here tend to go with DVD-RAM/DVD-R or waiting for DVD-RW/DVD-R hardware, these are the "real" DVD approved formats and it seems this is making a big difference to peoples experiences.

Regards

Philip

3. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham

Don't be put off by the comment from philipL. This forum is a bit of a closed shop for -R/RAM users who consider thenselves so much better than everyone else that they treat the + users as a lesser species.

But dont worry the DVDR80 will be an excellent machine. I will post some links to reviews if you want.

Cheers

Primitive

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...or the fact that most people on this forum have home cinemas/high end setups meaning very few of us actually have DVD+RW machines (which by Philips own admission are aimed at low end users).

Provided you don't want to make high quality archivings, good copies from VHS tapes or have accurate editting ability ;) It's a good machine provided you don't look too hard at the competition.

I thought PhilipL was being quite helpful there. He is pointing to a forum where people will actually have USED the machine - I don;t think I've seen a DVDR80 user on this forum. And the machine may be similar in many respects to your DVDR70 but it it does have a number of functional differences (and extra features) that your does not. So all in all to get advice on it he should speak to someone who has it. And that isn't you is it Primitive?

5. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using +r since it first came out...in the Phillips DVDR980 and in PC drives. I would not even think about -r as it has so many limitations in playback on other machines. +r is a fantastic format..the only reason I posted this question is that I am getting a newer model to replace my 980.

Graham

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Well why are you here then Primitive? By your own admission we are all DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R supporters and you have tried to change our opinions and failed, so what is your point?

There is a forum for you over at dvdplusrw.org, oh yes of course I have just realised, they all post with problems over there about the +RW/+R format, so maybe it is a question of head in the sand over here :)

DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R is better. If that was incorrect, then this forum would be full of users posting about their 2nd or 3rd repair, problems with firmware updates, coasters, disc errors, unknown data messages, no DVD Playback, timer problems, whiting out when recording, how to get Belgium to replace the optical engine with a generation 2, how to hard reset, what does fail mean on the self test, where to find the version number and so on.

Why should consumers have to learn and do these things on their purchases? This has been going on across the whole Philips +RW product range from day one, the other alternatives from Polaroid and Apex, have been met with at best a lukewarm response, at worse, taken back for a refund.

This forum isn’t full of these same complaints because these endemic problems do not curse the "real" DVD Formats, and that is why we prefer them, quite simple really.

Regards

Philip

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Oh dear - another victim of Alliance press releases. The most extensive test of compatibility was done by CDR-Info (over 1000 combinations) and the results were:
    DVD-R 96.74%
    DVD-RW 87.68%
    DVD+R 87.32%
    DVD+RW 86.96%

Source:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/DVDMediaFormats/Home.aspx

DVD-RAM is of course not compatible at all (with the exception of new players from Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC etc). But then you get DVD-RAM for the features - not compatibility.

8. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with the warnings about the Philips machines here.Both my friend and I own dvdr880's.He has already had one laser assembly replacement and I have had numerous "no disc" errors and "lock ups",where I've had to disconnect the thing from the mains to get it going again.I also had one occasion where the film was "jerking" like a bad internet video stream and that also needed the plug pulling to "fix".Now my dad keeps asking about recordable dvd and I've warned him off Philips in no uncertain terms.If only I'd bought a Panny E50:rolleyes:

9. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!
    I have just installed my dvdr80 multiregion I purchased from RGB Direct for £472.95 including a 3 year extended warranty. Guideplus installed OK, after the second attempt, as the first time the clock was wrong, and even though I manually set it, it changed to the wrong time shortly after.

I did a reset, left it on ITV and now seems ok. However, I cannot get the G-LINK to work! I have a Nokia 221T freeview box, and even though I have completed the set up process, in the Guideplus, it won't change channels! I called Philips twice, the first time, they told me that feature does not currently work in the UK, but someone would contact me when/if it does, the second time I rang to ask, if this is the case, why is there not a note attached in the box so I did not waste so much time trying to set this up!

But the tech on the phone said it did work, and to try again, but his knowledge was very limited, and said he only played with the dvdr80 once in training, and it worked ok then! For now, I have disconnected the G-LINK and put it back in the box! any suggestions anyone? also, as I had to leave the dvdr80 switched on for 24 hours for the Guideplus to receive the 7 days of programmes, will it automatically update from now on, or do I have to repeat this process every seven days? I am generally pleased with this recorder, it seems a lot better than the dvdr890 I had before, that I returned to the shop because the software kept crashing!

I notice in Guideplus that even though my post code is set into the DVD, and my ITV region is correctly showing Meridian listings the logo shows HTV! I'm hoping it will update itself to the Meridian logo in time! The other logos reset from time to time too, currently the BBC1 logo has disappeared, and just shows BBC1 in white letters! I have a good signal, and a newly installed digital aerial, so it's not that. Anyone else had any problems?

10. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Just had this e-mail from Philips this afternoon:

"the updated code for Nokia is transmitted via ITV and Eurosport UK from 28.10. Please, do the manual EPG data download (= tune to the ITV or Eurosport for 24 hours) and afterwards you will be able to setup and control your Nokia Freeview box."

It's worked! Meridian is still showing the HTV logo, but otherwise, works fine.

Guideplus+ seems to be keeping itself up to date too, even when left on standby. I switch it to ITV before putting into standby just to make sure.

Simon.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Simon

Does Guideplus work ok with digital TV channels on all platforms?

12. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have Freeview, and they all work ok with the DVDR80

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BIG NEWS-I have found a thread on Digital Spy.....and...wait for it..... there are 3 consecutive posts from people who have a DVD+R machine and (trumpets blow)they have had ZERO problems.It had to happen sometime.Maybe we should have them stuffed as a reminder that "zero problem"+R consumers DO exist.

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    How does it distinguish between say BBC1 analog or BBC1 Digital?

15. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know, but it works!

16. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Simon here.

Well, all problems with my DVDR80 have now been resovled. My Nokia 221T works with G-Link, the ITV logo now shows ITV1 which is better than the incorrect HTV logo it has been showing, and GuidePlus+ is updating itself ok. So, a happy ending! Thanks to everyone who posted comments. Simon.

17. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of getting burnt to a crisp....

Why are you so suprissed???

All I hear is don't buy a Philips machine, but then read of problems with older models. (880/890) The only problems with the DVDR80 I've read, here and at digital spy, are minor setup ones that have been cured. (Guide+ and having to be carefull not to delete titles)

If you have seen some bad report for the DVDR80 in particular I would like to know as I'm still on the fence!!!!

Jim

18. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phelings

You're a pillock!!!!!! You preach about Philips unreliability when you know full well that the problems were only with the DVDR880 series optics. This has been pointed out to you enough times on the other forums but you still keep repeating your rubbish! I fully understand you had problems with your 880 and that has therefore soured your view of Philips machines but it is simply not true that there are huge problems with the new DVDR70/75/80 machines or in fact as other complete idiots on this site claim that it is a fundemental fault with +R/RW format.

So you all carry on loving you're - machines, which is fine and justified but don't keep advising people not to look at +R/RW based on your own limited experience of the DVD880 (which we all know was naff!).

It's also worth pointing out to those people who are looking for which DVDR to buy that all the Philips machines have RGB in and is worthy of consideration for that feature alone.

See you all (sorry it's been so long but I've been out in the real world where +R is taking the initiative and the lead!)

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic machines have RGB in aswell.So no Philips advantage there.
    The forums are FULL of faulty DVD+ machines.Not one,not two,but dozens.So no Philips advantage there.
    Where are the similar faults on DVD- machines?They are not there.
    If you had read all my posts everywhere like you are trying to say,you would know that the problems I talk about I have never said are faults of the DVD+ system itself,but Philips age old tradition of selling crap.However,as all DVD+ machines are Philips,or based on Philips parts then I will be fully justified and continue to warn people off buying a machine that historically is unreliable.
    If the new models are reliable then we will know in the fullness of time.
    RAM handicaps Panny machines,so its about time Pioneer entered the cost cutting arena and gave DVD- a boost(not that it needs it)

20. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phelings please see my last reply in the +R/RW thread which answers your points.

Cheers

Primitive

21. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its going to be interesting to see how the market progresses with what looks like a 100% DVD+ prescence in the supermarket/Argos type places.
    Will Philips ever enter the Japanese market?

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Extremely unlikely. DVD+ success in Europe can largely be attributed to Philip's supply contracts (etc) ensuring they have got disks into the market. They don't have this in Japan. Accordingly a launch in Japan isn't realistic - note for example the decision by Sony not to add DVD+RW onto the Japanese PSX.

23. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wonder why Pioneer decided to add + writing to the 106?

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Because to sell their drives on the OEM market they have to be multi-format. The strategy worked for Sony who shipped more drives than anyone else last year.

25. simonpoole

simonpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now that the 'bugs' have been sorted out, I am very pleased with my DVDR80. It's better than the DVDR890 that I had before.

26. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If DVD+ is the way to go,why are there no major manufacturers making them.Thomson seem to be the only well known make involved.Why are there other companies adding DVD+ to PC drives(even Pioneer) but showing no sign of interest in the STB market?

27. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Actually Thompson have announced that they will not be releasing their DVD recorder range in the UK (prices are too low). We might be lucky and see one but the models with the potentially interesting features (i.e. Teletext grabbing, flexible record) aren't going to get a UK release. This was briefly mentioned in the last issue of either HCC or WVWE (I can't remember which).

No announcement from Yahama yet but given comments from the CEO of that company that European prices (on DVDRs) are "killing him" suggest they may go the same route.

28. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya men enjoyed reading your little spat about DVD RAM in one of the other forums;)

I think you're being a bit choosey in your words - there seems to be loads of manufacturers making + machines albeit most of them are lesser known ( although Sony and Philips are major manufacturers arent they?).

Anyway - the more machines there are, of any format, the lower prices of hardware and media will be and that can't be bad.:smashin:

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There are indeed loads of budget brands coming in using DVD+RW Ivan but they virtually all use the same reference design as the Mico (i.e Philips Nexus design). They are from the same (largely Chinese) companies that produce all the budget DVD players you can get. But generally as a Home Cinema forum the budget brands aren't considered that often here as most people who reach this forum want quality. And the only two DVD+RW companies in this respect are Philips and Thompson.

Sony are indeed the world's largest consumer electrical producer in the world but there machines are primarily DVD-RW ones with DVD+RW support (from the fact they are fully featured -RW but only limited featured +RW).

Indeed.

30. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ,Ivan,hence my use of the words-no MAJOR manufacturer.Philips is a given for DVD+.Apart from the cheapie imports,no other manufacturer fully supports the DVD+ format.Even Sony,as Rasczak explained above