1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips DVD 710 - Multi Region Hacks?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by rexman, Nov 25, 2000.

1. rexman

rexman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought the Phillips 710, I was told it was multi region.

I tried to test it today by borrowing 1 friends Region 1 disk. It played the disc straight out of the box (without any hacks) but only in black & white

Thinking that I had to use the remote hacks, I set it to region 1 by remote and found it made no difference.

I set it back to region 2 but now it shows an region error code when I place the dvd in.

1) Is there a multi-region hack for the Phillips 710?

2) If the 710 was chipped, surely the remote hacks would not affect it?

3) Why did the Region 1 disk only play in black and white?

2. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it "played" in black and white it is Multi-Region but your TV cannot handle NTSC.

You will need to change the signal to output a PAL signal (Either in the menus or on the back of the machine there will be a switch).

I have a feeling that Philips DVD's only output NTSC as NTSC therefore you will need a standards converter (from www.lektropacks.co.uk) or get a different DVD Player (For example - A Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba can all convert NTSC to PAL).

It is because Region 1 discs are in NTSC and not PAL.

Alex