1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips dolby t.v.- separate subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by the badger, Jul 25, 2002.

1. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the proud owner of a Phillips32 pw 9616 t.v. with dolby digital. I get great sound. However, it is possible to add an independently powered sub-woofer through a rear socket and the manual claims this will enhance the sound. I want to know if anyone with this t.v. or the 9617 have done this and if so what unit have they bought (and how powerful is it)and how do they feel about it's performance. I also have the following questions.
    1) Does the sub- woofer drown out any of the other speakers. I am especially conscious that the rear speakers are not increadibly powerful and I don't want to be in aposition where I hear nothing but bass
    2) If a sub- woofer is fitted does this in any way modify the sound output of the two front speakers. At the moment when I do a THX optimizer routine the sub-woofer channel comes out of the front speakers. Ihave never had a dolby digital separates system but I note that the speakers apart from the SW tend to be titchy. I like all the sounds to be coming from the right direction and don't like the idea of them mostly coming from one big box.
    3) could I place the sub- woofer behind the t.v. I know they are supposed to be in the middle of the room somewhere but my wife likes everything tidy and out of the way

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Badger

I have the 9607, and I added a Sony active sub. Definitely enhances the sound effect.

1.The sub should not drown out the other speakers. In fact it should hardly be noticeable. A lot of people tend to set it too high. A good rule of thumb is try to set it so that you're not really sure if its on, but you do notice the change when you turn it off. When you run the test routine on the set the sub should be well below the other speakers.

2. No. The front speakers will do their normal job

3. The positioning of the sub is much more flexible than the other speakers. I have read that you can stick them behind the sofa if you have to. The LFE produced by the sub is apparently not directional as is the output from the main speakers, so you should get the effect almost anywhere.

The addition of a sub is maybe marginal for broadcast stereo and dolby prologic stuff, but for 5.1 from a DVD or Sky+ it does make a major difference.

3. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!- anyone got suggestions about cost, best supplier, how many Watts etc.?- and would I just need an ordinary phono lead?

4. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Badger,

I have the same TV as you and have the rel q400 sub connect.
    It makes a big diference when watching DVD's or MTV BASE. When I had the sub behind the TV due, it affected screen with colour bleed all over. Its now tacked away in a corner.

deff