Phillips BDP3000/05 - Is it any good?

I

io1901

Can't seem to find any reviews of this player - its on offer at Amazon for sub £140 - any opinions.

petet66

Last edited:

rhysce

Standard Member
Sorry to bump a six week old thread, but I was looking at this player and noticed that Marks and Spencers have it on a one-day only deal for £99 including I believe (check this before you buy) the five year warrantly. Richer Sounds are currently £131.90 with the five year warrantly, £119 with one.

If anyone was thinking of going for it then M&S are for today at least worth checking out.

Marks & Spencer

I

io1901

Says 2 years on the website - I think the 5 year applies to the TVs.

mudstuff

Also noticed this and was curious since I have £25 gift card, making it £75. Good deal? I reckon there will be a few bluray players around the £100 mark closer to christmas and would prefer a brand such as Panasonic, especially due to the free films offer.

EDIT: bit the bullet, good deal I reckon. Also got delivery refunded due to a faff with their ordering system. Quite a looker and will go nicely with my Sony 40" V3000 in the bedroom.

Last edited:

Daryll

Standard Member
... And from today Asda are selling it for £97 leading up to Christmas

:clap:

Vorix

I've just seen this for £99.99 at Amazon - one question I have is how quickly it boots?
I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player (I know, the perils of early adoption) that takes forever to boot, to the extent that I'm looking at replacing it with a standard DVD player again. However, for this price that seems a dumb move as long as it starts up quickly.
Any comments?

I

io1901

I went a bought from Asda £97 only to learn Argos have priced match and are giving away vouchers for spends over £50.

Anyway boots quickly - haven't tried any BD as I haven't got any - but DVDs look great. Connect via Anymet+ (Easylink) to Samsung TV.

Replaced an aging LG all in one DVD 5.1 receiver - picture much much better - sound not as good as no 5.1 sound.

Cablechap

Just bought one of these yesterday for my daughter's room and it works a treat. Faster than my Panny BD50 and a quick code gives multi-region dvd.

If you're quick - Argos has them for £97 with 2 year warranty...and there is a £10 voucher if you can spend a total of £100 or more, £5 if over fifty as mentioned above - ends today.

Last edited:

cmatt

argos ran out when i noticed the deal... i say i - meaning - mrs cmatt. She is not normally tech savvy so I am actually godsmacked she has even bothered to notice blue ray....

replaces a rather silly samsung dvd player - which kept pausing for about 1/2 second per chapter :(

GrannySmith

Just picked up one of these yesterday as a cheap stop-gap, but even after a few hours use, the blurry screen pans and constant clunking as the laser reads the disc are a big disappointment...okay so it's a budget player, but even £40 dvd players are'nt quite this tortuous, so it's going back for a refund. :rolleyes:

cmatt

Just picked up one of these yesterday as a cheap stop-gap, but even after a few hours use, the blurry screen pans and constant clunking as the laser reads the disc are a big disappointment...okay so it's a budget player, but even £40 dvd players are'nt quite this tortuous, so it's going back for a refund. :rolleyes:

have not had that problem at all :rolleyes:

and trust me - the firmware on a £40 dvd player is enough to drive mere mortals to breaking point.

I

io1901

Played my first BD in it yesterday - loaded very quickly and picture was excellent - only noise from the player was when it was loading - ran very quietly when playing the films.

kinsh

Standard Member
just bought one of these today
am upgrading to most recent firmware via usb
does anyone know how long on average it takes to do an upgrade?

whitehart

just bought one of these today
am upgrading to most recent firmware via usb
does anyone know how long on average it takes to do an upgrade?

Does it pretty quickly no more than 10mins if i remember rightly, from a USB stick

adben

Standard Member
Has anyone tried the new Terminator Salvation disc with this player, i bought it today and it will load perfectly until the main menu when it will go no further. The menu plays fine with full motion picture and sound but i get a mute sound icon appear on the screen and none of the menu functions work. It is stuck on play movie and i cannot move it to any other option or play the film. I have just upgraded to the latest firmware but this makes no difference whatsoever. Is this a general problem or do i have a faulty disc?

Andy

kinsh

Standard Member
Does it pretty quickly no more than 10mins if i remember rightly, from a USB stick

it turns out my "new" player was faulty! it was in upgrade mode for over an hour! d'oh!

i say "new" as though i bought it from ASDA it had fingermarks all over it when i opened it. :(

so just took it back and happily they had a replacement that i updated by usb swiftly (and accpeted multi region hack) and has no fingermarks on it:clap:

victor von doom

Standard Member
Has anyone tried the new Terminator Salvation disc with this player, i bought it today and it will load perfectly until the main menu when it will go no further. The menu plays fine with full motion picture and sound but i get a mute sound icon appear on the screen and none of the menu functions work. It is stuck on play movie and i cannot move it to any other option or play the film. I have just upgraded to the latest firmware but this makes no difference whatsoever. Is this a general problem or do i have a faulty disc?

Andy
dude having the same problem here, dont know if it is the disk or player. I have upgraded to the latest firmware.

Just been and exchanged the disk and it still not working, player going back tomorow. If it still not working I am going to ask for a refund on the player.

Last edited:

adben

Standard Member
Tried a replacement disk, same problem. Phoned philips tech guys who told me they have had a few calls regarding this and are going to look into it and contact me in the next couple of days. Don't really want to take the player back as i only bought it on friday and have been more than happy with it. Will wait to see if they release another firmware upgrade that sorts it out.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs