1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips 963SA Connection?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skywalker1010, Feb 25, 2003.

1. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have just bought a Phillips 963SA which should be with me this afternoon.

I have a Denon AVC-A1SE and I understand that to get full DSD SACD streaming to the amp, I need to connect up the six multichannel connections from the player.

Is this right?.

I cannot get multichannel SACD throught the optical or coaxial connections.

I am thinking about going for some Kimber DV-30 digital interconnects from Russ Andrews.

Has anyone had any good results on these connections and am I going in the right direction with this.

Those six interconnects will set me back £290.

Thanks all

Nick

2. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi IXOS do a lead it has 6 rca`s each end, I think ist around £45-50, and its well up to the job.

Thanks

3. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks darren,

Are these made specially for this type of hook up, I will take a look at these now.

Cheers

Nick

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1. Yes.
    and
    2. No.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks all for the feedback,

But I went for the Russ Andrews Kimber DV21 Digital Interconnects x 6, only because I wanted to order another PowerKord with a Wattgate plug from them for the player.

I got the player set up the day before with just an optical lead through to my Denon AVC-A1SE. First impressions on the CD upsampling was jaw "clunk" hit the floor.

I have had a first generation Sony DVD player for about five-six years and through my amp, everything sounded great. This Phillips/Denon combo is now incredible with vanilla flavoured CD, it is worth the upgrade for this.

I now have the PowerKord hooked up and have left in the optical, but hooked up the Phillips six channel into the Denon using the interconnects.

I played Human League "Dare" and only got two channel SACD stereo, I believe the disc is stereo only but I thought the sub would at least come in as well, nothing.

I then tried "Tubular Bells" which had the front+surrounds, but still no sub.

Am I missing something?.

All the connections to the amp were checked, they were connected via the EXT-1 inputs as instructed by my manual.

When I spin an SACD disc I cannot switch to any other sound format as the amp is locked in EXT-1.

I am getting sound but my two surround back rears which are set up for 7.1 do not make a sound.

If I take out the optical lead I probably will not get DTS and DD for DVD's and I certainly cannot switch over to DTS 192 and other formats using the EXT-1 connection.

Has anyone here had a hook up problem with this player and have I missed something?.

The initial thoughts on sound and picture were fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Nick

7. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have now had the unit over the weekend and really put it through it's paces.

I still have no sub output from the amp in multichannel interconnect output for SACD and CD, I just get bass from the main speakers wether they are set to large or small.

But I get full 7.1 from the optical connection which is set to DVD on the amp, I have set the EXT-1 to CD now.

I went out and got a One for All 6 in 1 remote and used it to make the player multi region, took all of one minute!. I had already enabled the prog scan hack with the supplied remote.

Now, I really do not want to sound like a numb n*ts here. But I have a 46" Sony rear pro and I have ouput progressive scan through my new player by an RGB cable!!!.

I cannot believe this picture!!!. I am sure I am not just seeing a normal interlaced picture, in fact I have flicked the switch over from interlaced to prog scan on the back of the player.

Technically, I should not be seeing a picture at all?.

The picture is so fluid and free of any lines that the Sony's picture looks more like there is an NEC HT1000 hidden in the back of it!.

I have had the Sony for six years now and was about to either go plasma or projector in the next few months. This has certainly changed my mind about the Sony, there's a few more years left in the old girl yet!.

All this connection hassle is worth it for the end picture and sound.

I will add, that the player does exhibit the Chroma Bug, but you can trim the Chroma noise in the prog scan settings and anyway, I hardly notice it when I am constantly amazed but the rest of the picture.

It was only apparent on the red jeeps in Jurassic Park and some slight banding on the robots cap in the THX trailer, I found nothing on Mikey's car in Monters Inc, strange.

Have any other 963SA users found this?.

Thanks

Nick

8. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The 963SA doesn't have the Chroma Bug.

I suspect you are using TrueLife at a non-Zero setting, which can cause chroma-bug like distortion.

Make sure your TrueLife setting is a 0.

9. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Andy,

I will have a look tonight on my settings.

I did find it odd that the jeeps in JP were really banded and that the car in Monsters Inc was not at all.

I must add that I noticed some lip-sync problems on Toy Story 2, but a quick tap of the rewind button cured that.

I cannot praise this player enough. I was going to get the DVD-A1 to go with my amp, but with all the problems with the unit I have held off untill the universal palyer comes out later this year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nick

10. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nick, I assume you configured the "music" profile for SACD (as opposed to movie) in the speaker setup menu.
    By default, the sub is turned OFF. Since you are using analogue from the 963 for SACD, you need to go in this menu to set up each channel delay to your listening position anyway. For some reason, whenever you toggle Bass Management on and off, the 963 turns the sub back to OFF. Make sure it is turned back on. This got me twice when I was leveling the speakers and listening with bass mgmt on and off.

With my speakers, I have bass mgmt turned off, sub turned on, and all the delays set correctly of course.

This is only for SACD. For, DTS/DD/etc, I use the digital electrical connection and let the receiver do the decoding.
    Cheers,

11. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    William,

Thanks for the info.

I am sure that when I have been into the speaker set up with Music and Movies the sub has been switched to on and I prefer the others set to large.

But I will have another look again as I have only spun the Tubular Bells disc in multichannel, the other SACD's were stereo only. But I cannot get any output to the sub, even with CD, that was never a problem before with my other unit.

I must admit that I have been playing so many DVD's since the weekend, they all sound fantastic.

I have a 7.1 speaker set up and the amp detects the rear surround flag in DD and DTS, but the multichannel SACD only came out in 5.1?.

How do I pass the SACD signal to the amp to allow me to enable a full 7.1 surround. I know it is not conventional, but I could play CD,s on my other player and pipe them out into serveral surround formats.

This player with it's six channel out, seems to have locked all the flexibility out of my Denon amp.

Thanks for the help

Nick

12. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    but the multichannel SACD only came out in 5.1?

That is correct, because multi-channel SACD *IS* 5.1

The 963SA correctly outputs this as 5.1 and you'd connect this to your external inputs on your amp - where are you expecting to get the extra two channels from???!!

13. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Andy,

The Denon AVC-A1SE amp can take a 5.1 input and split the two surrounds into two surrounds and one or two rear surrounds, depending on how many rear surround speakers you have set up.

I have set up two Tannoy P10's as my rear surround which are at the center back about three feet apart.

Every other source I have sent through to the amp previously could be configured this way.

I know that SACD multichannel is 5.1 only.

But I seem to be minus the .1 and a raft of sound format options using this player. It was just nice to have the option previously wether it was conventional or not.

Cheers

Nick

14. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm pretty sure once you use the external inputs on Denon amps. you can't do anything with the signal - ie you can't apply 6.1 / 7.1 processing - at least you can't on mine....

15. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Andy,

Hey....I just noticed in your sig, you have a 963SA and the Denon AVCA1SE!.

Your right, on the Ext-1 in with 6.1 and 7.1, I just thought it odd that I could take the optical signal in before on the old player and the output in the various 6.1 and 7.1.

My problem is that I have never had to put anything through the Ext-1 before, the Phillips I was told could not output SACD multichannel through the optical only.

Great picture and sound through the amp though.

This is only a stopgap until the new flagship Denon SACD/DVD-A player is out later this year, I will upgrade the amp to enable my Denon Link and get that player all being well.

Cheers

Nick

16. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I just thought it odd that I could take the optical signal in before on the old player and the output in the various 6.1 and 7.1.

The key here is that SACD isn't (and legally can't be) output via Digital - its analogue only due to copy protection issues. Sony feared enabling Digital for SACD output would lead to very high quality digital->digital copies being made.

Once you're using the 6.1 / 8.1 inputs on your Denon, you're really using it as a straight amplifier rather than as a processor.

17. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Andy,

Ahhh....the penny has now dropped!.

Thanks for your help, how does the progressive picture look on your Panasonic AE-300 from the Phillips.

I have been looking at a lot of projectors lately.

Cheers

Nick

18. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    how does the progressive picture look on your Panasonic AE-300 from the Phillips.

Its really fantastic! I've had loads of people popping around to watch films and three months on there is still a big "Wow!" factor.

The whole set-up cost around £1500 (imported both the 963SA and Panny) and frankly my set=up gives my mates Denon 3800 / Sony WT11 combo a good run for its money (cost over 2x more...!)

19. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Whoops! :blush:

I just popped home after taking on all the feedback, and checked the SACD playback.

I pulled out the SW interconnect from the amp and the player and put back on.

The sub was still set to on and the speakers set to small, I put on Tubular Bells and there still seemed to be no low frequencies.

Placing my hand on the sub driver I could feel a faint movement. I then cranked up the volume and the sub thumped out the bassline.

SACD must have, or certainly this particular disc, less LFE than say a DTS or DD disc. If I have put on a DTS disc at the same level now, I would have no windows.

Andy,

Is there any way for me to set up an SACD macro on my Denon which can take care of this?.

Cheers

Nick

20. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Is there any way for me to set up an SACD macro on my Denon which can take care of this?.

You could probably define a macro using one of the "System" buttons - I did one once - then I dropped the remote, and the batteries fell out, and I didn't have the heart to go through it all again!!

You're best bet I think would be to work out the combinations you want on your Philips remote, then train your Denon.

AFAIK SACD bass is -12db less than DTS or DVD for some reason....

I guess you could set the Speakers Settings on the Music Profile on your 963SA to automatically add a few db if you feel its too low.

21. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hey Andy,

You are quicker than Agassi on these returns!.:clap:

-12db, I really did not know that. I will go back into the speaker settings later and crank the LFE up a bit.

All this was doing my head in at the weekend, thanks to all this great feedback things are starting to fall into place.

A problem shared is a problem.....:rotfl:

I must stop using the smilies.

Cheers

Nick

22. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Nick,

I,ve been thinking of buying one of these as well.If it,s not too cheeky to ask,where did you buy from and how much.?

Regards

Richie.

23. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Richie,

I got it online at www.robertsons-online.co.uk

It was the best price I found, actually someone from this forum suggested it to me also.

Price was £308, that includes postage in the UK also.

But I must say that the units are very sought after and their stock gets snapped up very quickly.

Good luck, it is a fantastic machine for the money.

Cheers

Nick

24. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I,ve went and ordered one , should get it on Friday. Yahoo!!!

Regards

Richie.

25. solo88

solo88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Skywalker.

Did you ever clear up that problem you thought was the chroma bug?
    Was it just your TrueLife or another setting?
    I'd love it if owners could confirm the absence of the chroma bug and the flicker bug on this player.
    Thanks for your help.

26. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Solo,

The True Life high setting does exhibit a Chroma Bug type visual. I have not fully tested it yet with all the discs I saw it on.

I also found lip sync problems on Toy Story 2, but that was quickly remedied with a flick of the reverse button.

The lip sync problem is IMHO in many players, I had it on my 1st generation Sony and it is probably mainly down to the disc.

The player is fantastic value for money.

Cheers

Nick