Phillips 55pus6272 - Judder/Stutter

ClarkeE

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and looking for some help!

Recently purchased the Phillips 55pus6272 and I'm noticing stutter/judder in the picture. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like a bad internet stream.

This is seen using a Sky box and also when using a Fire tv (both 1080p output).

The issue is seen in all picture modes, the only way to resolve it seems to be by putting the tv in 'Game mode'.

Is this normal for a 4k TV when using 1080p content? Or is this a fault?

Cheers.

Try playing with the motion controls (I think settings>picture>advanced>motion but not certain)
There are two different settings, try changing them to see if you can find a setting you are happy with...

Try playing with the motion controls (I think settings>picture>advanced>motion but not certain)
There are two different settings, try changing them to see if you can find a setting you are happy with...

Thanks, I've tried these settings even turning them both off doesn't resolve the issue.

The only way to solve it seems to be using 'Game mode' which doesn't have any motion settings.

I wouldn't expect to have to use game mode for normal TV viewing, do you think my TV is faulty?

Could it be caused by the source being output at 60Hz? I think this tv is only 50Hz?

It is possible that it is faulty. It is strange to have issues that are resolved by game mode but not resolvable by changing other options.
Usually the black frame insertion motion processing option helps with people sensitive to that sort of thing, but without knowing more it's difficult to say.

Is it only on specific things or is it on everything you watch?

It does seem strange that I can't use any of the 'normal' picture modes!

It's on everything I watch, both from the sky box and the Fire TV. Tried it on HDMI1 and HDMI2, same result.

Of the two motion settings you have one is black frame insertion, the other is frame interpolation. I think you should have have a the bfi on and the other off (I think that is what game mode would default to)

If you can record a clip where its a problem and loop it with different motion settings that should show if you can solve it.

I can't think of anything itccould be other than motion settings, and I can't remember off the top of my head which of the settings are which.

The sky box outputs at 50hz so it's not to do with 60hz sources

I don’t have those motion options, I have ‘Motion styles’ which I can choose off, movie, sports etc... if I choose personal it gives an additional setting called ‘natural motion’ the options here are minimum, medium, maximum of off. None of these settings seem to help, looks like it may be a call to the supplier to return it :(

Well it must be one of the processing options that the TV automatically changes for game mode, but I don't have that model available here to try things for you, so I don't know what else to suggest.

I'd say try to audition another tv of the same model to find out if yours is faulty. I know there are 6272 owners on here, so hopefully one of them has something a bit more useful for you ..

I have this problem since I purchased this TV in Feb 2018. I have been on to Phillips support and they don't seem to want to know. I have sent them numerous emails complaining about it and was told to take back my TV to where I bought it (Argos). They refused to take it back for a refund or replacement saying Phillips needed to see the Judder/Stutter. Phillips want a video of the Judder before looking into it. I have tried to video it and it is not very clear to see it for some reason.
I have tried all settings even changed my Yamaha Amp to the new Denon AV 4 K amp but to no avail.

Where it always judder for example is watching the BBC World Cup coverage when they go back to the Panel at half time to discuss this game. I also have the Sky Q box .
Phillips have been no help at all on this issue utterly useless

I have this problem since I purchased this TV in Feb 2018. I have been on to Phillips support and they don't seem to want to know. I have sent them numerous emails complaining about it and was told to take back my TV to where I bought it (Argos). They refused to take it back for a refund or replacement saying Phillips needed to see the Judder/Stutter. Phillips want a video of the Judder before looking into it. I have tried to video it and it is not very clear to see it for some reason.
I have tried all settings even changed my Yamaha Amp to the new Denon AV 4 K amp but to no avail.

Where it always judder for example is watching the BBC World Cup coverage when they go back to the Panel at half time to discuss this game. I also have the Sky Q box .
Phillips have been no help at all on this issue utterly useless

Not just me then!

I'll be getting in touch with Phillips this evening, I bought the TV from AO and I know they won't accept a refund/replacement unless Phillips agree that it's faulty, I guess Argos would be the same.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Just to let you Argos and Phillips have told me that the onus is on me to show the fault. I actually need a Phillips techie to see it with his own eyes. Video of the problem does not show. Like you I have used game mode but the problem comes back after awhile. All sources are affected TV and all Hdmi inputs. Hope you succeed.

Have you asked Phillips to send out an engineer?

I'll try and film the judder tonight, something like this may be useful and should show the issue clearly -

Have you asked Phillips to send out an engineer?

I'll try and film the judder tonight, something like this may be useful and should show the issue clearly -

Yes I have asked Phillips to send out an engineer but they refused saying they need evidence of judder in a video clip first. Like I said filming the judder is hard because it is so random but very noticeable

Last edited:
I have a freesat box and noticed that changing the output on this to 50Hz rather than 60Hz seemed to help the issue, it's not completely smooth but much better.

The Amazon fire tv was also set to 60Hz, however changing this to 50Hz didn't help.

I managed to get some decent footage of the judder issue:

F7F31AF7-F56C-4A56-98D6-66B5C7AC6190 - Streamable

I have a freesat box and noticed that changing the output on this to 50Hz rather than 60Hz seemed to help the issue, it's not completely smooth but much better.

The Amazon fire tv was also set to 60Hz, however changing this to 50Hz didn't help.

I managed to get some decent footage of the judder issue:

F7F31AF7-F56C-4A56-98D6-66B5C7AC6190 - Streamable

Thanks for posting the Video it's exactly the same as mine. Also I have a free to air box and tried the change from 60HZ to 50HZ but it made no difference to the judder. I have since got on to Argos and spoke with a very helpful chap and he is looking into my case. Will report back if there is any news to resolve this problem.

No problem, I hope you mange to get it resolved.

Interestingly, I did some further testing last night...

The video above was from Amazon prime on the fire tv box. I decided to try the amazon prime app on the TV and play the same clip (expecting the same judder) however the judder was much better. Youtube also seems to play smooth via the apps on the TV.

I thought maybe it's an issue with the HDMI input, so I tried the amazon prime app on my PS4 (connected to HDMI 2) and surprisingly again this was much smoother!

This would suggest there's a problem with the Amazon fire tv box rather than the TV however I have been using the same fire tv box for years on my previous TV without any issues.

Really confused now :confused:

It sure looks like a fault, well done with the video capture.

That further testing is interesting, how about the fire TV via the PS4 HDMI lead into hdmi 2? Given that it happens on skyQ and internal apps I'm not suggesting that should make a difference, its just interesting...

It sure looks like a fault, well done with the video capture.

That further testing is interesting, how about the fire TV via the PS4 HDMI lead into hdmi 2? Given that it happens on skyQ and internal apps I'm not suggesting that should make a difference, its just interesting...

;) I tried exactly that, took the HDMI out of the PS4 and put it straight into the fire tv to check if it was the cable... fire tv was still juddering.

so my results are:

• Fire Tv - terrible juddering at both 60Hz and 50Hz
  • Freesat box - terrible juddering at 60Hz, better at 50Hz (but not perfect)
  • PS4 - Smooth, no problems at 60Hz
  • Internal tv apps - Smooth
I'd say it was a problem with the Fire tv and Freesat box based on this however both have been used for years with my previous TV with no problems at all! o_O

Update on this...

I spoke (argued) at length with Philips about this, they refused to accept this was a problem, essentially their stance was:

"It's a 4K TV so it is designed to display 4k content, if you want to watch 1080p content you need to use Game mode" o_O

Lukily AO were really helpful and have agreed to a replacement, strangely they have also now stopped selling this model (lots of complaints maybe?) I've paid a little more and gone for the latest Hisense. I won't be buying a Philips again anytime soon.

Glad you got it sorted. Shame about the nonsense customer service from Philips, that sort of thing really does alienate yet so many companies save a little money in exchange for treating their customer like scum - especially with front-line support.

I have found AO to be a good company to deal with too, except for GDPR compliance which is a bit of a worry, but what can you do?

Paying for the step up is usually a good choice with a tv if you can afford to, the Philips is last years model and has been out of production for a while - nothing strange about the stock dwindling.

My experience with Philips has been great. But then I got to speak to a techy person rather than a phone-monkey. And I've had no issues like yours. Hopefully your experience will help other people get their jerking sorted out. I won't call it judder, since that is a video effect which has levels of acceptability depending on the source and material conversions it has undergone. That video shows unacceptable frame drops for other reasons.

Do please come back and give us a full comparison with your new hisense

Update on this...

I spoke (argued) at length with Philips about this, they refused to accept this was a problem, essentially their stance was:

"It's a 4K TV so it is designed to display 4k content, if you want to watch 1080p content you need to use Game mode" o_O

Lukily AO were really helpful and have agreed to a replacement, strangely they have also now stopped selling this model (lots of complaints maybe?) I've paid a little more and gone for the latest Hisense. I won't be buying a Philips again anytime soon.

I am delighted you have resolved your issue and that AO are replacing your TV. Unfortunately I have not been as lucky as you. I was on to a few people in Argos they promised to get back to me, but have not done so to date. As regards to Phillips all I want is to talk to a techy person but can't seem to get past the call center staff. Who continue to stonewall me and pass the buck back to Argos. The problem with shudder/stutter happens even when I change the HDMI ULTRA HD setting to off. The fight continues.....

I am delighted you have resolved your issue and that AO are replacing your TV. Unfortunately I have not been as lucky as you. I was on to a few people in Argos they promised to get back to me, but have not done so to date. As regards to Phillips all I want is to talk to a techy person but can't seem to get past the call center staff. Who continue to stonewall me and pass the buck back to Argos. The problem with shudder/stutter happens even when I change the HDMI ULTRA HD setting to off. The fight continues.....

Sorry to hear that, feel free to use my video above if you need to send proof over to Philips.

The call center staff really are terrible, I could barely make out what they were saying and when I could it was useless advice (take the batteries out of the remote - yep, seriously :facepalm:).

How did you pay for the TV? If you paid by Paypal or credit card you could go down the route of raising a claim for a refund.

It is the retailer that bears primary responsibility for rectifying or replacing faulty goods not fit for purpose. Keep on at Argos, they have procedure for this, you just need to have it invoked by their support staff

It is the retailer that bears primary responsibility for rectifying or replacing faulty goods not fit for purpose. Keep on at Argos, they have procedure for this, you just need to have it invoked by their support staff

I want to thank Mane UK and ClarkeE for all your help and very precise advice about this TV. Because without you I would not have won the fight to have this returned and refunded by Argos the primary seller. For 5 weeks Phillips led me a merry dance. But AV Forums and with the help of the above have resolved this issue. I will never deal with Philips again. I could go on but I will be the bigger man. I am now in possession of of very beautiful Samsung MU 7000 and could not be happier. Phillips support is abysmal and I pity anyone that has to deal with them in the future. Argos came good in the end but I had to state my case very clearly. Thanks again chaps
Regards

Evening chaps
I had similar problems with the 6572 with jumpy playback..maybe I got lucky.
Support updates worked for me...also
Using an un-powered external HDD causes issues...use flash drives

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom